You Can't Use the Wavebird to Navigate the Wii

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
racketboy
Site Admin

You Can't Use the Wavebird to Navigate the Wii

Post by racketboy »

Nintendo sure is making some weird interface choices.
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/12/03/no-wa ... yance-010/

That doesn't seem like their typical behavior...
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

Ya, but you have the wiimote for navigating through the wii menus. Y'know that zhiny white thing that came in the box? You can still use the Wavebird as a controller though in GCN games.
That's good enough for me.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

metaleggman wrote:Ya, but you have the wiimote for navigating through the wii menus. Y'know that zhiny white thing that came in the box? You can still use the Wavebird as a controller though in GCN games.

I guess what bothers me is that if you want to play a GC game, you have to have two controllers on your lap.
I'm picky, I know. I'm trying to deal with it.
SegaVega
24-bit

Post by SegaVega »

I've been pretty impressed with the Wii interface so far...it's pretty slick. :) I think the "Channel" thing fits it seeing as how the controller is a remote (I can see how non-gamers would find that more approachable), and the icons are big enough that you don't have to do crazy aiming to select stuff. It all moves pretty fast.

I don't really use backwards comptibility in consoles, so I haven't tried very much GC stuff on it yet.
JC
16-bit

Post by JC »

racketboy wrote:
metaleggman wrote:Ya, but you have the wiimote for navigating through the wii menus. Y'know that zhiny white thing that came in the box? You can still use the Wavebird as a controller though in GCN games.

I guess what bothers me is that if you want to play a GC game, you have to have two controllers on your lap.

My friend brought his Wii (lol, still cracks me up :lol:) over the other day, and he had a Classic Controller which is meant for the Virtual Console stuff. Now on inspection of this, it actually has the same amount of buttons as a Gamecube pad, so we put a Cube game in and tried it out. Unfortunately, the Wii will only reads from the Gamecube contoller ports, or so it seems. I really like the feel and build of this new controller, but if it's only useful for a Virtual Console stuff, then it's a total waste of a good design concept if you ask me.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

JC wrote:
racketboy wrote:

My friend brought his Wii (lol, still cracks me up :lol:) over the other day, and he had a Classic Controller which is meant for the Virtual Console stuff. Now on inspection of this, it actually has the same amount of buttons as a Gamecube pad, so we put a Cube game in and tried it out. Unfortunately, the Wii will only reads from the Gamecube contoller ports, or so it seems. I really like the feel and build of this new controller, but if it's only useful for a Virtual Console stuff, then it's a total waste of a good design concept if you ask me.

That is a bummer.
He should count himself lucky though -- I hear those Retro controllers are just as hard to find (if not harder) than the consoles.
JC
16-bit

Post by JC »

racketboy wrote:
JC wrote:
racketboy wrote:

That is a bummer.
He should count himself lucky though -- I hear those Retro controllers are just as hard to find (if not harder) than the consoles.

He has 4 of them!

Are there actually any 4 player Virtual Console titles available yet? If not, I'm not sure why he bought 4!
Ramatut4001
128-bit

Post by Ramatut4001 »

Actually, there's already a five player game on the VC, Bomberman '93. I've not been able to find any extra wii-motes, nunchucks or classic controllers yet myself. I still feel lucky to have a Wii at all.
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

JC wrote:
racketboy wrote:

I hope they fix that in a future firmware update.

Ramatut4001 wrote:Actually, there's already a five player game on the VC, Bomberman '93. I've not been able to find any extra wii-motes, nunchucks or classic controllers yet myself. I still feel lucky to have a Wii at all.
Go to play-asia. They have tons of VC controllers and nunchucks. No wiimotes. and they are all regularly priced too.
Ramatut4001
128-bit

Post by Ramatut4001 »

Thanks, metaleggman. I'm gonna wait for now. Extra nunchuck is worthless without extra wiimote. I'd like a few classic controllers, but I'll hold out a little while. I'm surprised how well the whole sideways wiimote thing works for VC titles. I've been playing a little Bomberman '93. Kinda funny since I could play it or any other TG16 game on my Xbox. I guess I just wanted to be a part of something :)