Nintendo Expands The Virtual Console Lineup

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
JC
16-bit

Post by JC »

The thing is, as much as I support this idea, I won't be spending money for, a) games I already have on cartridge, b) NES games, since they just don't hold my attention anymore, c) a list of games that I already have pretty much.

I'm doubting that Goldeneye & Perfect Dark are gonna see light of day on the Virtual Console, since Microsoft now owns Rare, right? Being an owner of pretty much all Nintendo machines so far, and owning all the best games for these systems, I'd like to see instant support for Genesis, Turbo Grafx 16, and other third party manufacturers (hardware and software). Fingers crossed huh?
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

JC wrote:The thing is, as much as I support this idea, I won't be spending money for, a) games I already have on cartridge, b) NES games, since they just don't hold my attention anymore, c) a list of games that I already have pretty much.

I'm doubting that Goldeneye & Perfect Dark are gonna see light of day on the Virtual Console, since Microsoft now owns Rare, right? Being an owner of pretty much all Nintendo machines so far, and owning all the best games for these systems, I'd like to see instant support for Genesis, Turbo Grafx 16, and other third party manufacturers (hardware and software). Fingers crossed huh?
well, even though microsoft owns rare, rare still owns their own IP and past games me thinks. Either way, Microsoft would be smart to put them on both the VC and XBLA, as VC wouldn't have any extras, but they could "pimp" out the XBLA version, that way it appeases both sides and they get more money.
JC
16-bit

Post by JC »

metaleggman wrote:
JC wrote:The thing is, as much as I support this idea, I won't be spending money for, a) games I already have on cartridge, b) NES games, since they just don't hold my attention anymore, c) a list of games that I already have pretty much.

well, even though microsoft owns rare, rare still owns their own IP and past games me thinks. Either way, Microsoft would be smart to put them on both the VC and XBLA, as VC wouldn't have any extras, but they could "pimp" out the XBLA version, that way it appeases both sides and they get more money.

Sounds good to me.
SegaVega
24-bit

Post by SegaVega »

JC wrote:
metaleggman wrote:

Sounds good to me.

Neither Microsoft nor Rare own Goldeneye. The only franchises Rare is now entitled to are the ones they created: Killer Instinct, Battletoads, Anticipation (chuckle), etc. So a property given to Rare as comissioned by Nintendo (Goldeneye, Diddy Kong Racing, Donkey Kong Country), is still in the hands of the Big N. Of course Nintendo doesn't own the "007" IP, but they acquired the license to publish Goldeneye.

But none of this crap excites me. I have a problem with owning invisible, "virtual" games. Even if it were an unreleased SNES game, I would still rather find a proto or something, and these games I already have. :wink:
JC
16-bit

Post by JC »

A while ago, I had a theory that with the availability of ROM's on the net, someone would find a way of transferring them onto the Wii, but I read that the Wii will be "on" all the time, and receiving updates etc, so I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo counteracts this in some way. We'll see anyway.
Indy_aka_Rex
24-bit

Post by Indy_aka_Rex »

SegaVega wrote:Neither Microsoft nor Rare own Goldeneye. The only franchises Rare is now entitled to are the ones they created: Killer Instinct, Battletoads, Anticipation (chuckle), etc. So a property given to Rare as comissioned by Nintendo (Goldeneye, Diddy Kong Racing, Donkey Kong Country), is still in the hands of the Big N. Of course Nintendo doesn't own the "007" IP, but they acquired the license to publish Goldeneye.

In 1996. Nintendo does not own the rights to publish Goldeneye, nor does it own the rights to use ANY of the characters in the game, seeing as how they're now the property of DANJAQ and MGM/UA (or if you'd like: Sony pictures). Not to mention, I believe Rare owns the coding and the engine behind Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.
SegaVega
24-bit

Post by SegaVega »

Indy_aka_Rex wrote:
SegaVega wrote:Neither Microsoft nor Rare own Goldeneye. The only franchises Rare is now entitled to are the ones they created: Killer Instinct, Battletoads, Anticipation (chuckle), etc. So a property given to Rare as comissioned by Nintendo (Goldeneye, Diddy Kong Racing, Donkey Kong Country), is still in the hands of the Big N. Of course Nintendo doesn't own the "007" IP, but they acquired the license to publish Goldeneye.

In 1996. Nintendo does not own the rights to publish Goldeneye, nor does it own the rights to use ANY of the characters in the game, seeing as how they're now the property of DANJAQ and MGM/UA (or if you'd like: Sony pictures). Not to mention, I believe Rare owns the coding and the engine behind Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.

I not saying they retained the 007 license (it's clear they don't), I'm saying they have the property of the game. http://wii.ign.com/articles/680/680846p1.html It's popular belief that they aren't able to redistribute Goldeneye, but they're entitiled to it if they were to renew their license. Sony owning MGM doesn't mean you won't see 007 games licensed for other consoles, EA has the license and makes 'em multi-platform. As they've alluded, Nintendo could purchase it from whoever had it and run it once for Goldeneye. And it's not going to happen either way.
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

JC wrote:A while ago, I had a theory that with the availability of ROM's on the net, someone would find a way of transferring them onto the Wii, but I read that the Wii will be "on" all the time, and receiving updates etc, so I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo counteracts this in some way. We'll see anyway.
well, you still have to set up your internet connection to work with teh Wii. :P So you could potentionally not allow it to update. And it asks you to update. It was on IGN when they tried going on the market place. If you want a link, I can try to find it.

As for 007, it would most likely be too expensive and not be worth it to rerelease it. EA may try to sell it on the VC market place thing, with permission from nintendo and MGM. :wink:
Indy_aka_Rex
24-bit

Post by Indy_aka_Rex »

SegaVega wrote:I not saying they retained the 007 license (it's clear they don't), I'm saying they have the property of the game. http://wii.ign.com/articles/680/680846p1.html It's popular belief that they aren't able to redistribute Goldeneye, but they're entitiled to it if they were to renew their license. Sony owning MGM doesn't mean you won't see 007 games licensed for other consoles, EA has the license and makes 'em multi-platform. As they've alluded, Nintendo could purchase it from whoever had it and run it once for Goldeneye. And it's not going to happen either way.

EA hasn't owned the 007 license since March. Activision owns it.