Instructions for the old Saturn mod chip

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

Instructions for the old Saturn mod chip

Post by Curlypaul »

Hey guys, been a while :)

I'm considering getting one of the latest chips for my Saturn as the current one has become mildly unreliable.

It was one purchased from here, there were two options depending on the exact board, one of which required cutting a trace or lifting a pin or something... obviously I'm going to have to figure out which option I took and reverse it, but i can't find the instructions online anymore.

Any chance anyone has a copy, or a really good memory?
Ziggy

Re: Instructions for the old Saturn mod chip

Post by Ziggy »

I don't have a copy of the install instructions, but form memory... The chip that was sold on Racketboy's had a 2 wire install. A power wire that was soldering to a pin on the power supply board and another wire that was soldered to a pin of an IC on the drive board (you didn't have to lift the pin, just solder a wire to it). There was another method, the "1+2 method" is what people were calling it, or maybe it was "A+B method." It involved bridging the two connections on the chip and then you only had to solder one wire inside the Saturn... but I can't remember if it was the power wire or data wire (I didn't use this method, personally). I wanna say it was the power wire, which means you didn't have to solder to the leg of the IC, and that's why it was popular because that's the part people had trouble with.

edit: Yep, I just searched the forum for A+B method and that's what it was, bridge A and B on the chip then you only have to solder the power wire to +5v on the power supply board. Now if you need to know which pin on the IC the wire is soldered to... my memory isn't that good. If it can't be found in a Google, I (or someone else that has the chip installed) could open my Saturn and see which pin it is.
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

Re: Instructions for the old Saturn mod chip

Post by Curlypaul »

Hey Ziggy,

Thanks, that actually answers my question.. I only have one wire attached the board so I think that means I probably used the A+B method and I can simply remove the chip and not have to mess with with anything else :) awesome.

I do seem to remember stressing over some tiny soldering on this, but looks like I just skipped it out in the end :)