USB power question

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
SpaceBooger

USB power question

Post by SpaceBooger »

So I have a PS Classic and the Genesis mini, both modded, sharing power from the USB port on my TV. The TV only had one USB port so I'm using a hub/splitter to be able to put both power cords in the one port. Since both system boot, there is no negative to splitting the USB for power is there?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Ziggy

Re: USB power question

Post by Ziggy »

Only unless the total power draw from both consoles exceeds what the USB port on the TV can supply (assuming your hub can supply at least that much power as well) and you turn both consoles on at the same time. But being that I doubt you'll be doing that, there's no problem if everything is working.
marurun

Post by marurun »

If it is a powered hub, no problem at all. If it is not a powered hub, just make sure you only use one at a time to be safe.

I actually picked up a USB power adapter with a strong enough USB C port to drive the Switch dock and 3 additional regular USB ports so I can run the Switch and all 3 mini consoles (SNES, Genesis, and soon the Turbo) off the same USB brick. I can also take the regular Switch power adapter with me when I travel without having to get behind the TV to unplug it.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

It's a non-powered hub... a basic one from Amazon.
I do not have both systems on at the same time, but the PS Classic has a LED that is orange when powered but not "on" and green when "on". So I didn't know if that would matter. Both power on and play individually. Now I have not really spent any much time playing them (no more than 5 min at a time) since I set it up this way because of lack of time and because of the USB setup.

I was just wondering if a slit power source would cause the system to work different - i.e. Lag, Harder on the internal components, etc.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
marurun

Post by marurun »

There is a danger that having both plugged into an un-powered hub could cause one or both to be unable to draw adequate current, though this depends on how much current the TV can deliver. I suspect most TV USB ports can only deliver 1 AMP (1000 mA). I don't know what the ACTUAL power draw of the PS Classic or Genesis Mini are, but they both want 1 AMP USB power supplies. That means there's a risk that the USB hub and TV could both be drawn upon too heavily and be damaged by being unable to provide adequate power draw. My suggestion would be to either buy a cheap powered USB hub, or simply buy a cheap USB charger with 2 ports on it and skip the TV altogether. The latter is probably the cheapest solution if you have an outlet free.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.