S-video plastic bit stuck in TV's jack

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Nemoide
Next-Gen

S-video plastic bit stuck in TV's jack

Post by Nemoide »

You know how S-video cables have those 4 metal pins and a plastic bit? Well the plastic bit from one of my cables broke off and is stuck in the jack of my TV.

I ended up jamming it in deeper by trying to hook up another s-video cable before I realized what was wrong...
Does anyone have any thoughts on getting it out?

My first idea is to heat a pushpin and stick that in there, piercing the plastic and hopefully getting it out cleanly/easily.
If that doesn't work, maybe I'll get an S-video cable and break off the plastic piece and just use it with a switcher box so I'll never need to mess with it again.

(This is a big heavy CRT TV, I don't want to move it if I don't have it, so I'm not taking it anywhere and I'm not going to take it apart.)
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: S-video plastic bit stuck in TV's jack

Post by samsonlonghair »

Vacuum?
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I like that idea! I'll try that first.

UPDATE: vacuuming didn't work, but it did bring the bit closer to the edge. But the hot needle technique did work! (I guess this thread wasn't necessary.)
Last edited by Nemoide on Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

If you try the vacuum, you may want to put something on there to get a better seal. Like Silly Putty or something similar (I would say actual putty, but Silly Putty would probably not leave a mess and do just as good of a job).

If you try to heat up a pin to stick in there, I would suggest using the thinnest gauge possible so you do risk expanding the plastic bit and causing it to wedge. Maybe a thin sewing needle. And I would recommend putting a slight bend on the end you're inserting. Hold the needle with a pair of pliers, then use some needle nose pliers to bend a small angle on the pointed end. Somewhere between 45 and 90 degrees. Heat it up until it glows, then quickly insert it into the plastic bit. Then wait a full minute, and then try to gently pull it out. My reasoning is waiting a minute will let the plastic solidify. The small angle on one end will help to grab it and pull it out. A straight needle would probably just slip right out since the melting plastic probably wont bond very well to the needle. The bend tip will work as a hook.