HDMI Audio Help

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
SpaceBooger

HDMI Audio Help

Post by SpaceBooger »

So I think I tried everything already, but you guys here are geniuses!

I have a new (to me) 26 Sony Bravia (KDL26S3000) LCD with 2 HDMI ports to replace the smaller one in my office. The TV in my office is only for streaming on the Roku 1 while working, and sometimes to play the VGA cabled Dreamcast and my Retron 1 HD.
There is an issue, the Retron 1 HD has no sound. I tried a new cable, both HDMI slots and even hooked it up to 2 other TVs to make sure it worked - it does but not on the Sony. After days of playing with settings, searching the web I am at a loss. Every other HDMI that I throw at it (Roku 1, Fire Stick, etc) works with sound in all HDMI slots but the Retron HD won't produce sound via HDMI and I didn't buy it to play using RCA cables.
Any suggestions? Even the Sony tech support guy on the phone gave up on this.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
marurun

Re: HDMI Audio Help

Post by marurun »

Check your HDMI version compatibility. A lot of the differences between versions have to do with audio transport. Cables have versions, too.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

marurun wrote:Check your HDMI version compatibility. A lot of the differences between versions have to do with audio transport. Cables have versions, too.

Thanks for the reply.
I'm using the cable that came with it, you would think that would work and I tried it with the good Amazon cable that the roku is using along with one other. I think I can rule out port 1 vs 2 and the cable.
What do you mean by HDMI version? I'm cursing if that is the cause I'm SOL right?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
marurun

Post by marurun »

The HDMI spec has undergone revisions over the years to support increased resolution and more and newer audio standards. New revisions are supposed to be backwards compatible, but I suppose the TV could have a bug, or perhaps the device itself. Any little weird incompatibility could sink the whole affair, even though that would be very rare. My Roku Stick and basement TV lose their connection from time to time and the video goes out but the audio keeps playing. I have to change the channel and change back to get it to reauthenticate.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Scouring the net and I can't find anything about this tv not getting audio from HDMI. Most errors are because the cable box is set wrong and not the tvs fault. With the Retron HD being what it is, a small niche console, I can not find any specs on that so I'm not sure if it is an incompatibility issue.
The sound does work with the L and R rca cable. The unit does not output sound from HDMI and rca at the same time though, so using both sets of cables don't work either.
I emailed Hyperkin, I doubt that will do anything and I'm about to give up.
BLOG | BST
marurun

Post by marurun »

My suspicion, knowing what little I do, would be that Hyperkin is doing something just a LITTLE weird with their HDMI output, something that most systems wouldn't have any problem adapting to, but that something that was very strict might. Maybe the Sony TV is a little picky about input conforming perfectly to the spec and Hyperkin is toeing the line.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Many HDMI switches will extract audio from HDMI and output it through all digital and analog types. Those switches also strip HDCP and will often solve interconnection problems with picky displays.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Anapan wrote:Many HDMI switches will extract audio from HDMI and output it through all digital and analog types. Those switches also strip HDCP and will often solve interconnection problems with picky displays.

I have 2 non-powered HDMI switches/selectors and I just tried them per the suggestion and the one didn't change anything and the other one wouldn't even send the video through.
I guess I could try a powered one.
BLOG | BST
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Oh, yeah, I should have specified a powered one that does internal processing of the signal for audio extraction or an HDMI Matrix Switch.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Anapan wrote:Oh, yeah, I should have specified a powered one that does internal processing of the signal for audio extraction or an HDMI Matrix Switch.

So I bought a 5v adapter for the HDMI switch and that did nothing... I find it odd that this is happening. I think marurun is right about it being a small problem that may only exist with a small handfull of TVs.
BLOG | BST