Best Solution for LOTS of HDMI devices? (13+)

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
thelolotov
32-bit

Best Solution for LOTS of HDMI devices? (13+)

Post by thelolotov »

Hello all, been a while since I've posted outside of my Video Connections guide!

I was wondering if anybody could point me towards a solution to my first-world problem. I have roughly 14 HDMI devices I want hooked up to my TV that has 3 HDMI inputs. At the moment, I'm using two 5 port HDMI switches, and just manually swapping the remaining 3 devices, but I'd really like a more elegant solution, preferably one with room for expansion.

Short version, does anyone know of an HDMI switch with at least 12, preferably closer to 15 ports? Would prefer it to be under 100 dollars, but I'm willing to pay up to 200 for one that includes HDMI-CEC support. I have searched the best I know how, and all I'm finding above 5-8 ports is KVMs, Security DVRs, and HDMI Splitters.

For anyone wondering why I need that many, because I'm sure the question will come up:

Dreamcast with HDMI Upscaler (TV doesn't play nice with native res, or I'd be using straight VGA)
CECHB01 PS3
Slim PS3 (Not vital, just a nice to have)
Xbox 360
Xbox One (have considered using its "extra" HDMI port, but want to avoid the power consumption of having it on)
PS4
Nintendo Switch
NES Classic
SNES Classic
Chromecast
Wii U
Wii U (SO's)
Steam Link
Raspberry Pi

Thanks for reading!
Ziggy

Re: Best Solution for LOTS of HDMI devices? (13+)

Post by Ziggy »

I hear ya. My AVR has 6 HDMI inputs, and I've resorted to having to use the two HDMI inputs on my XRGB Framemeister. Here's what I currently have...

Cable Box
PS3
BD Player
Fire TV
XRGB Framemesiter
Wii U
DVD Player
PC (currently unplugged due to lack of ports!)

Not to mention the NES and SNES Classics, as well as the impending Switch and PS4.

This may not be ideal for you, but this is what I plan to do for myself: I want to upgrade to this new receiver (or something similar). It has 7 rear HDMI inputs, and one front HDMI input. The front HDMI input will be perfect for the NES and SNES Classic, since I don't plan to ever have them hooked up permanently. The 7 rear inputs, plus the one extra input I gain from the Framemeister, is just barely enough to support what I have now. So my plan is to eventually get an HDMI switch box and it use on one of the AVR's inputs. The idea is that I wont have to search for a switch box with such a large amount of inputs since the AVR already has several.

I actually have one or two additional HDMI inputs on my TV, but in my mind they don't exist. TV speakers sound awful, so everything must pass through the AVR.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

thelolotov wrote:I was wondering if anybody could point me towards a solution to my first-world problem. I have roughly 14 HDMI devices I want hooked up to my TV that has 3 HDMI inputs.

The only thing I know that could work would be some kind of mega KVM switch like this:

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Windows-M ... 01H1Q2V2K/

It takes up to 16 HDMI inputs, and outputs over 1 HDMI port. Obviously the K&M parts of the equation can be ignored. It supports automatic and manual switching of inputs. The only problem is it's $372 (maybe not a problem depending on the buyer). You may be able to find a cheaper KVM switch that does the same thing.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

I'd also look at feeding a smaller switch or two into an AVR, as that's what I've done with SD consoles and their associates switchboxes.

Also like Ziggy, I'd just have some of those devices be plugged in via front HDMI when I wanted to use them.
thelolotov
32-bit

Post by thelolotov »

I appreciate everyone's... input, if you'll excuse the feeble pun. I honestly never really thought about HDMI KVMs, sadly, it seems they are all $400+. Thanks for sharing that receiver, I'd be a lot more onboard with paying that kind of money for the additional features that a receiver provides, but like I feared, it seems this reality is just outside my budget for the foreseeable future.

I'll be sure to share if I come up with anything, as it's clear I'm not the only one with this issue.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

isiolia wrote:I'd also look at feeding a smaller switch or two into an AVR, as that's what I've done with SD consoles and their associates switchboxes.

Also like Ziggy, I'd just have some of those devices be plugged in via front HDMI when I wanted to use them.

Same here, a separate switch box for each input of the TV.

1. Composite and SVideo
2. Component
3. HDMI or DVI with HDMI converter cable

If for example there are three HDMI inputs at the TV, leave two dedicated to your primary devices such as the BluRay player and Dish/Cable box and the other input fed by a switchbox for the various consoles. This makes it also easier to rename the TV Menu titles from HDMI1 to the actual name of the devices.

I avoid unplugging and plugging cables due to the fragile pins especially SVideo. Composite with larger single pin not bad for PlugNPlays. VGA and HDMI though not as fragile as SVideo could eventually bend the contacts inside the TV. As an interim, best to leave the cable attached to the rear input of the TV and unplug it from the device until a dedicated switchbox can be set up. This way only the cable plug would get damaged instead of the input jack of the TV.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

thelolotov wrote:I appreciate everyone's... input, if you'll excuse the feeble pun. I honestly never really thought about HDMI KVMs, sadly, it seems they are all $400+. Thanks for sharing that receiver, I'd be a lot more onboard with paying that kind of money for the additional features that a receiver provides, but like I feared, it seems this reality is just outside my budget for the foreseeable future.

I'll be sure to share if I come up with anything, as it's clear I'm not the only one with this issue.

I just posted a couple other cheaper AVR options in the Audiophile/Budgetphile thread.

https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR656-C ... 390&sr=1-4

https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR373-5 ... 390&sr=1-3

For $333, I'm really thinking about getting that 656 myself. 8 HDMI in, 2 out!
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I'll tell you how I've got mine set up as I have 10 HDMI connections. My TV has four HDMI inputs.

In HDMI 1, I have my sound bar plugged in. The soundbar has three HDMI inputs, so I have my PlayStation 4 Pro, my Switch, and my Xbox One X plugged into it.

HDMI 2 has a 5-way HDMI splitter where I have my Xbox 360, my PlayStation 3, my PlayStation TV, my PlayStation VR, and my Steam Link plugged in.

HDMI 3 has my Retron 5 plugged in.

HDMI 4 has my Wii U plugged in.

I've thought about getting another splitter in the future, but unless another Retron-esque clone system that I want comes out or a new console comes out, I doubt I will. I've considered keeping my Ouya and Gamestick plugged in just for the sake of having them plugged in, but there's really not a whole lot of point.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.