Who Here Re-Caps Their Consoles?

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Who Here Re-Caps Their Consoles?

Post by Jagosaurus »

So as these consoles get older, this will become a very important part of preserving the hardware.

Any of our members put new capacitors on the consoles? I know the turbo duo & game gear are notorious for cap issues. In recent years I've heard of more NES and Sega CD issues as well.

I removed the time clock capacitor from my oXbox recently and sure enough... done. All over the board :shock:. Luckily it only pooled right under the cap.

Just curious if anyone offers it as a service here or on other boards? I wouldn't mind getting into myself but it's no simple task.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Who Here Re-Caps Their Consoles?

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Piggybacking off of this general idea, I suggest we compile a list of forum members who are able and willing (for a fee, of course) to perform repairs for those of us who are...shall we say "mechanically inept."
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

I am very interested in doing this myself, for CRTs, consoles, audio gear, etc.

The soldering is doable, but does anyone know of a place that sells a cap kit for specific devices? I imagine it's a pain to tag each cap you need and then track them all down. I've not looked into consoles and their requirements but I know there are sometimes quite a few caps in audio amps and receivers, and some are harder to find than others.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

https://console5.com/store/

This is where I got my Genesis recap kit. I've done a recap on said Genesis, but I don't have the sort of time to make it worthwhile for myself or for the receiver of said recap job. I'm not in enough practice and don't have the tools to make it a fast job. :(
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

@Elkin, I use to see "Mod Service" threads in BST but they seem to have faded. Those were likely the same members who would be conducting repairs. Agreed, I'd love to have those guys on file! Disc drive replacements is another area along with caps I'm worried about.

@sarge, Nice. I've never seen that site. How many caps did the Genesis have? Roughly how long did it take you?
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

It's about 40, and too long. Off and on, probably four hours? My biggest holdup is the lack of good desoldering equipment. A cheapy plunger-type just doesn't give the sort of efficiency that the Hakko desoldering gun I used to use when I was working in the microelectronics lab.

(I honestly don't remember, but I just remember it being a pain.)