Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

I've joined the G-Sync Family! Calibration help

by Xeogred Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:58 pm

Now... please help me calibrate things. :lol:

Monitor I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IOO4SGK/

Any tips or sources? Think the color could pop a little more.

I'm at 1440p, from 900p or something so it's a huge jump and I'm having a little trouble figuring out the text. ClearType was and still is on, but I can't tell if that's making things look odd or not. The weird thing is that the text font seems like it changed itself? But I bumped up icons/text to 125% to see a little better. Maybe I just need adjusting, but something seems off here.

In reading the forums, w's look like there's a cross through them... but not when I'm typing in this form right now. wtf?

Icons also look a bit blurry. I know some images and such will look a bit muddier now up close because of the huge resolution jump, but yeah it seems a little off.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: I've joined the G-Sync Family! Calibration help

by noiseredux Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:07 pm

I didn't have any issues with text myself. But it did take me a couple of days to get used to just how big the monitor felt. Now I couldn't go back.

Congrats and welcome to the family. 8)
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:13 pm

Maybe run the cttune.exe (Cleartype Text Tuner) to pick a new setting? I can't say I've had issues with text on monitors - I've seen driver issues with Firepro cards, but that's different.

If you haven't, be sure to open up the nVidia control panel and enable G-Sync and higher refresh rate for that monitor. It's even noticeable in how smooth the mouse cursor is.

Otherwise I'd maybe set things back to the default theme/etc all around just to see if that clears up some of the other appearance issues. Could be that it's at some odd percentage that it can't scale cleanly at.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:08 pm

This issue with w's appears to be exclusive to RB forums...

When I manually scale the page to 90% or 110%, it looks fine. But not at 100% which is the ideal scale/text size for me.

WTF? lol

Image: http://i.imgur.com/F6SomY2.png

Notice the w, and doesn't my sig and the smilies look a bit blurry?

Thanks for the refresh tip. Looks like G-Sync was enabled by default, but the refresh rate was still 60 and not 144.

Steam doesn't seem to scale with the 125% DPI... hmmmm. I'll probably get used to it anyways.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:21 pm

are there monitor specific drivers? I feel like I updated a driver for mine when I got it, but now I can't remember.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Drivers seem up to date when I looked up my monitor.

Also the issue is in both Firefox/Chrome.

I guess maybe I'll just try and adjust to 90% or 110% for the forums... lol.

Does the sig and smilies look a little off to you? Maybe it's just my vision.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:41 pm

If I had to guess, it's a combination of having Windows itself at 125% and then scaling in the browser. Those zoom levels probably make it some even ratio that scales better.
The font does look off, but that may be something you can fix with a different Cleartype setting. Sig and smilies just look scaled up.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:57 pm

Yeah the scaling on my sig image and the smilies is really noticeable and ugly. I keep trying other cleartype settings but I'm not sure I'm finding the magic spot.

At 80% my avatar, smilies, and sig look perfect.

I guess I'll give it a day or something and see what I think. lol

Wait a minute, what is the default MS font? My stuff is set to Segoe UI which seems odd.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:08 am

Not gonna lie guys I think I'm going to return this monitor and hope it's not a hassle with Amazon. It's opened obviously... but I have the box and everything.

I think 1440p for general browsing is just too much. My old Acer monitor taxed out at 1680x1050, so I'm thinking maybe I should just go with a 1080p monitor instead and that won't be an over the top jump.

I also agree with some of the reviews on this one that no matter how much I tinker with the settings, the colors do seem a bit odd. I've messed with ClearType as much as I can, scaling things, even downloaded some browser plugins, etc, but it's just too much. My intention wasn't to use this monitor as the main for gaming, since I dual monitor with my 50" HDTV. I definitely wanted an upgrade from the Acer, but bit too much to chew here. I know you need an adjustment phase, but this thing makes me want to pull out my glasses... to which I haven't worn in years because I've never really needed to otherwise. This whole day I've been on it and feels like I'm straining, squinting, and this definitely can't be good for the long haul.

Thinking I could get this instead:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KO4518I

It's not G-Sync, but 1080p/144hz and half the price.
Return to Technical Help