Fixing Donkey Kong on GameBoy

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Fixing Donkey Kong on GameBoy

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Hey guys I need help fixing a game. friend of mine found a very crusty copy if donkey Kong on Game Boy and gave it to me for free. Game has a tough time booting up so cleaning is on the to do list, but it does boot up and run just fine. Problem is, the saves aren't sticking. I am guessing I will have to replace a battery on the cart. If so...how does one do that?
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Segata
Next-Gen

Re: Fixing Donkey Kong on GameBoy

Post by Segata »

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

There's lots of youtube videos on how to replace the battery in a GB cart. I will tell you one thing I learned the hard way: buy the batteries that come with tabs already soldered on them. Trying to solder directly onto the battery without the tabs was a mistake. The heat of the soldering iron makes the battery acid boil. What a mess!
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

samsonlonghair wrote:There's lots of youtube videos on how to replace the battery in a GB cart. I will tell you one thing I learned the hard way: buy the batteries that come with tabs already soldered on them. Trying to solder directly onto the battery without the tabs was a mistake. The heat of the soldering iron makes the battery acid boil. What a mess!

Very yes. I've done the same thing, and what's worse, you can actually have the battery explode. Noooot what you're looking for.
WARvault
16-bit

Post by WARvault »

Hold up guys, I am certain the DK94 cart uses a different battery to the Pokemon "hybrid color" carts. From memory it uses a CR1620 cell, not the larger CR2025. No difference in voltage, just in physical size. I haven't done the swap yet, but i did do the teardown (years ago) to inspect.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

WARvault wrote:Hold up guys, I am certain the DK94 cart uses a different battery to the Pokemon "hybrid color" carts. From memory it uses a CR1620 cell, not the larger CR2025. No difference in voltage, just in physical size. I haven't done the swap yet, but i did do the teardown (years ago) to inspect.

That may be correct but you can usually cram a CR2025 in there anyway. That is what I did a few years ago when I replaced all the batteries in my Gameboy games.