CPU Upgrade Question

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
emwearz
Next-Gen

Re: CPU Upgrade Question

Post by emwearz »

SpaceBooger wrote:After reading the article Noise posted. I used MIS Afterburner to monitor CPU and GPU usage and I tried it with 3 games:
Deadpool maxed out the CPU use stayed under 50%
Ryse Sone of Rome maxed out and the CPU use maxed out at 80% and GPU around 70% at times
SKYRIM (original) maxed out with some mods the CPU use maxed out at 30% and GPU around 50%

Maybe it's not bottlenecked.

It depends how you are monitoring, are you monitoring each core? Because your 6 cores may give a reading of only using say 66% because it has 4 cores being maxed out because the game is not using the last 2 cores. So if you were on a CPU with better IPC then you would get better performance from the 4 cores being used. This is the reason Intels platform, though having half the thread count as Ryzen, still beats it in gaming, as its IPC is higher.

Don't know if I worded that the best I could. But you are best to monitor each thread, not the overall CPU usage, if that is what you were looking at.

Another way is to run a benchmark from a game, then overclock your cpu a bit and see if the results jump up, as this will increase you IPC.

When you say you were using MSI afterburner, I assume you mean you were using Rivatuner, make sure in the options in MSI Afterburner, you are watching each thread, not just CPU usage.

If this is the case, jumping up to a higher core count wont break any sort of bottleneck as the IPC won't be changing only the thread count. Just overclock your cpu 500mhz or so and you would see the same performance increase you would see by jumping across CPU's. They are both Piledriver architecture, so other than the increase in mhz, you won't see much real world difference in gaming.

I would not waste the money on it regardless, only a higher IPC will help you relieve the bottleneck being put on the 980, you would be moving sideways not upwards.

For example
Skyrim by default only uses 2 threads! So you are maxing out those two threads if it is showing 30% overall usage on your CPU.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

emwearz wrote:It depends how you are monitoring, are you monitoring each core?

I was monitoring each core, the percent I listed was the highest percentage from any core. Ryse was the wort with the first core getting up into the 80% range.

So maybe I need to overclock (I'm scared, I ruined my last CPU trying to do that). Before I overclock, would the motherboard make a difference?
Here is my current board it's old and needed a bios update to run the FX chips.
* If you install AMD AM3+/AM3 CPU on this motherboard, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0 (5200MT/s) to HT1.0 (2000 MT/s) spec; however, the frequency of AM3+/AM3 CPU will not be impacted. Please refer "CPU Support List" for more information.

Would upgrading to this board or even this board and a better than stock CPU cooler help?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Some other simple tests involve changing your resolution and anti-aliasing effects, which are GPU performed. If lowering the resolution has only minimal effect on performance, the CPU is at issue.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Playing Arkham Knight with decent settings and the fps stayed around 50fps on different high settings.
Sorting the performance test the gpu reached 80% and the cpu reached 80%, mainly core 1 and 2. When I played the real game the cpu, core 1, did max out to 100%.
So changing the AA, motion blur, and moving the filtering to trilinear didn't hurt the framerate or gpu usage. Arkham Knight is a hog of a game, so I'm not sure. It was keeping at 60fps for most of the gameplay at higher settings though.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

If you overclock, in small 50mhz increments, without touching voltage, you can't hurt anything.

What have you done in the past to kill a pc?
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

emwearz wrote:If you overclock, in small 50mhz increments, without touching voltage, you can't hurt anything.

What have you done in the past to kill a pc?

I tried overclocking my old FX-6100. I messed something up because even after I returned it to normal (I couldnt find a stable overclock that didn't royally mess up my video and black out) it still would freeze and stutter. I replaced the processor and upgraded my gpu after that incident to what I have now. (I chose the FX-6300 because my MB only can handle 95w and at that time the 8300 was out of my price range especially when upgrading to the GTX980)

Other than that failed Overclocking indecent, I have had the normal wear and tear of dead motherboards, worn out hard drives, and old power supplies.
BLOG | BST