enabling scanlines through hdmi on a framemeister ?

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
arcadifvid
32-bit

enabling scanlines through hdmi on a framemeister ?

Post by arcadifvid »

hi guys, quick question. is it possible to have scanlines visible on an framemeister when you connect an hdmi console like the 360 or retron through the framemeister ? i thought it would've been a simple thing, but i if i connect say a 360 via hdmi to the framemeister and have scanlines enabled, i just dont see it on screen. i know there's like a hdmi passthrough mode on the framemesiter, but whether i have that enabled or not, i just dont see the scanlines. is there a fix ?
TIA
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: enabling scanlines through hdmi on a framemeister ?

Post by Anapan »

I think it only applies scanlines if the input signal is less than 480i (tho I'd love to know how to enable them otherwise). I've read that some devices will output resolutions less than 480P through HDMI, tho I don't own any consoles that will do that. I think you'd need to run the hdmi signal through a scaler before the framemeister. Fudoh showcased a scaler that downscaled a console to 240p really well somewhere on his scanlines demystified page.

There are interfaces that can introduce scanlines before the framemeister gets it's input. The one that immediately comes to mind is the Arcadeforge SLG=HD YUV. This requires using component output from the console, or using a HDMI to YUV transcoder. The framameister is getting 480P through it's D-Terminal/Component input.

Testing this on my PS3 in forced 480P mode...

... Great success! The color is a little washed out; The brightness of the white is greatly reduced, while black is a dull grey through most contrast calibrations. Settings on the display and framemeister can compensate and make for good contrast when set to extremes, tho it's still not ideal. Setting all calibrations on both the framameister and plasma makes the image acceptable.

I'm pleasantly surprised - games which were previously 240P do mostly map out to have properly overlayed scanlines. Many games which were intended to be HD look better with scanlines IMO. I will be playing most of my futuristic themed racers and all of my SHMUPS on PS3 through the SLG now.

Pictures don't look quite as good as the results, but here's some anyway:

edit: Oh that's why I had to set those color calibrations really high - I had the scanline intensity set to minimum - didn't notice those DIP switches on the SLG...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
arcadifvid
32-bit

Re: enabling scanlines through hdmi on a framemeister ?

Post by arcadifvid »

that actually turned out great. 8)
i wish there was some other way though that doesnt require like another device :oops: