Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Problems with Windows 10 Update

by Exhuminator Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:20 pm

I setup a laptop with Windows 10 Professional today, and made sure it was totally current with all Windows 10 updates (including anniversary service pack), and did not experience any strange freezing.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
bacteria
Next-Gen

by bacteria Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:34 am

It might be Norton - it grabs an OS by the balls and that isn't always a good think for an OS.

Malwarebytes anti-malware is an excellent addition to your armoury for sure, and is free too. (manual checks, automatic ones are subscription).
I am the Bacman
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:04 pm

I know I am late to the party but I just updated my home PC to version 1607. The first thing that I noticed was a new icon in the system tray. It was Windows Defender which should have been disabled because I am using Avast. I quickly turned off Defender and everything seems ok so far.

Elkin - what you described sounds like it could have been caused by two antivirus programs conflicting with each other. Maybe the same thing happened to you and Defender turned itself on in addition to Norton?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:09 pm

Guess I'll ask here since nobody answered in the other thread, but have Windows 10 upgrade/updates finally disappeared from Win7?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:41 pm

Xeogred wrote:Guess I'll ask here since nobody answered in the other thread, but have Windows 10 upgrade/updates finally disappeared from Win7?

No but it's easy to get rid of them:

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/0 ... emove.html
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:29 am

Exhuminator wrote:
Xeogred wrote:Guess I'll ask here since nobody answered in the other thread, but have Windows 10 upgrade/updates finally disappeared from Win7?

No but it's easy to get rid of them:

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/0 ... emove.html

I have had this software and used it with great success.

So basically, I did turn off updates in the midst of this chaos. So now it's stacked and I'm sitting at 66 updates queued. I'm weary that if I manually activate them and update again, I'll turn my head then look over to see my PC upgraded to Windows 10. :roll: :lol:

From what I remember hearing the last call for a "free" upgrade ended earlier this summer. But I just wonder if it's all really gone and unavailable. Which is exactly what I want.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:59 am

You could just stop living like a caveman and upgrade.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:20 am

I've got Japanese stuff installed and shenanigans like that I don't want to mess with again. I'm not fully against Windows 10 or anything, I'll get it when I build a new PC sometime soon perhaps. But for this one, don't fix what isn't broken? My experience with Win7 has been fantastic.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:21 pm

For my Windows 7, I never had any Windows 10 Upgrade Nag Icon, but then I always leave auto updates turned off. I am wondering this too if it would appear if I do an update now.

With stories of the newest Intel Chips not compatible with Win 7, I can see Microsoft really pushing Windows 10. That rumor of ALL Windows 10 becoming an annual fee (like Microsoft Office 360) could be a reality a year from now.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2926086/ ... ifies.html

As Microsoft continues to find its way in a PC-plus world, the company is changing how it does business. One of the most significant changes was Office 365 for home users, which charges an annual fee for access to the Office suite. You can still buy the standalone "boxed" edition, but the company is encouraging people to become subscribers.

Suspicions about sneaky fees reached a fever pitch in May after a Microsoft executive said Windows 10 would be the “last version of Windows” as the operating system transitions to a “Windows as a service” model. The concern was that, just as Microsoft has done with Office 365, Windows users would suddenly be forking over a yearly fee to keep the OS running and receive updates.

To allay those concerns, Microsoft recently added a clarification to the Windows 10 landing page, as first spotted by Neowin (emphasis added):

"Once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge."

Okay, conspiracy theorists, you’re right—there is still one hitch in Microsoft’s fine print. What the heck does the company mean by “supported lifetime” of your device? Not lifetime, as in when your device kicks the bucket, but supported lifetime. Is that how Microsoft will get us in the end? The “supported lifetime” clause certainly could be applied to PCs, but what would the criteria be? Three to five years of guaranteed support? The duration of the warranty? Will the OEMs decide?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:58 pm

You know it's not hard to just update to Win10, and then run classic shell to revert its behaviors like Win7 in appearance and most function. They use O&O Shutup 10 https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10 to remove every single sniffy spying bit of crap MS has going on there and you're safe not file sharing or giving them or any partners your info from general usage. You'll lose Cortana function from it but she's generally useless unless you're crippled or lazy and want to tell your PC to do everything for you.
Return to Technical Help