Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Problems with Windows 10 Update

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:02 pm

Is anyone else having problems with today's Windows 10 update? Everything worked perfectly fine for me before I updated, but now trying to do literally anything causes the entire OS to freeze and stop responding. Click on the start menu? Freezes. Open Chrome? Freezes. Open File Explorer? Freezes. Open Task Manager? Freezes. Open Edge? It opens, but freezes as soon as I try to actually do anything. Like, these programs won't even open. As soon as I click anything, it totally locks up and just stays there. I don't even know how to try putting it in Safe Mode like this.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I try to deal with Microsoft tech support's inane bullshit?
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Problems with Windows 10 Update

by Exhuminator Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:14 pm

You should be able to rollback the update if it's causing problems. This article tells you how to uninstall updates in Windows 10:

http://www.howtogeek.com/235474/how-to- ... indows-10/
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:20 pm

It freezes when I try to go back to the previous build.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:26 pm

If you've run a quality antivirus scan, and a quality registry fixing utility, and checked hard drive integrity... and the OS still does that... yeah time to call Microsoft. Though I have to imagine if this is a legit fuck up on their behalf, other people would be complaining about it on the tech blogs. But I haven't seen that yet. Emphasis on "yet".
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
bacteria
Next-Gen

by bacteria Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:09 am

Both my PC's updated too last night, took quite a while, fortunately no issues. I use Intel NUC's.
I am the Bacman
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:50 am

I finally got it to cooperate long enough to restart in safe mode and restore to the previous build that way. Everything's working fine now. I've got Norton and run a full system scan every few days, so I should be virus free. The same kind of thing happened on my laptop when I tried to upgrade from 8.1 to 10 a year or so ago. I guess I just have bad luck with Windows updates? :?

noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:21 am

I didn't actually get the update. I ran into an oddity. So the update downloaded, but when it went to install it told me that there were apps I needed to manually uninstall first so that the update would work. It then listed the apps... but the list of apps was just a blank list. So... I can't install the update unless I uninstall a conflicting app, but it won't tell me which app that is. Shrug.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:14 am

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I've got Norton and run a full system scan every few days, so I should be virus free.

Even though you have Norton, you should download the free version of Malwarebytes anyway. Every X days/weeks/months, launch it, update it, and run a full scan. No one anti-virus solution is 100%, so running a "second opinion" is a good idea.

I don't necessarily think your problem is a virus or malware, this is just advice I would give whether or not you are having problems with your PC.

My Sale Thread - PRICES REDUCED! I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:20 am

Ziggy587 wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:I've got Norton and run a full system scan every few days, so I should be virus free.

Even though you have Norton, you should download the free version of Malwarebytes anyway. Every X days/weeks/months, launch it, update it, and run a full scan. No one anti-virus solution is 100%, so running a "second opinion" is a good idea.

I don't necessarily think your problem is a virus or malware, this is just advice I would give whether or not you are having problems with your PC.

I'll download that today. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:08 pm

Fire up task manager after a re-start, are you showing 100% on DISK. It's a common horrid bug from Windows 8.1 that kind of magnified in intensity on Win10. There's no specific real why to nail down the why. Some find it's the superfetch and windows index/search feature and turning that off fixes it. It could also be an issue with a 32bit antivirus being a dick running it ragged. It seems I find various start on boot 32bit programs seem to piss it off. I had a problem on mine which I got to take down (wasn't fetching/index) and then I did my older i5 laptop the wife has and it drove me insane as it was a mix of 32bit antivirus, adobe cloud services, and some other crap and it still does it, but only for a short bit on boot and stops so I left it alone as it was vastly improved.

It's the one big flaw no one wants to talk about who can actually fix it so you get everyone throwing their two cents in on basic google searches and each has their own way to seemingly fix it that some others were thankful over and others would bitch it did nothing.

It was worse with the initial roll out a year ago, I had to roll it back with a day left on the clock as it brought my i7 high end laptop to a crawl as it was running it at 100% disk no matter what, had to force a reboot, load barebones, then force 8.1 back. I only put 10 back on here a week before the cut off as I knew they did fixes last November but it wasn't quite enough as it still got stupid, just less stupid. This month they have another huge milestone build push coming with lots of fixes and few to little added features so maybe they nailed it.
Return to Technical Help