Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: TV Turns Off On Its Own

by CRTGAMER Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:23 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Advent HT2751A. Circa 08/2003

At first, I thought it was just IR noise from the remote, so I took out the batteries, and that did make it happen less frequently, but it's still doing it every now and then. Anyone have an idea why?

If I electrocute myself, my collection gets auctioned off and the money goes to support the site.
Exhuminator wrote:For now, try covering the infrared receiving port of your TV with a piece of cardboard and tape. See if the TV's bad behavior continues after that.

Elkin, do not muck about in the guts of a CRT TV.
Sarge wrote:I agree with Exhuminator. Unless you're very used to messing around in CRT TVs, you can very much hurt or kill yourself on some of the components. Not worth it.

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Challenge accepted

Good for you. Research so you know what not to touch. I have popped the back off multiple CRTs for dust out on all and solder work on a few models. As mentioned earlier, keep clear of the Flyback area. Dust out so the PCBs will have better heat dissipation and run cooler. While the cover is off verify if the same defective chips as described in my Guide.

I posted this Guide back in August 2011, my HD 4:3 CRT TV still going strong. :mrgreen:

Sony RLOD Twenty Dollar Repair Guide
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=458437#p458437
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:47 am

No, I was kidding. My incompetence with hardware is legendary.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:01 am

The reason I said cover the IR port, is that other devices with IR transmitters in the vicinity may be triggering the TV to turn off. If you cover the IR port and this behavior continues, you can rule out that possibility. But either way it's an easy first thing to test.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:19 am

ElkinFencer10 wrote:No, I was kidding. My incompetence with hardware is legendary.

At least pop the cover for the dust out and verify the power detection chip part number? You don't even have to touch anything, just shoot it with a can of air. I am curious of the the same chips that are in the Sony WEGAs are on other brand TVs of the same era. At least then you will know and might even get lucky if the inexpensive chip is mounted in a socket. The dust out alone might help the PCB run cooler.

The revised replacement MCZ3001DB chip, the originals don't have a B in the part number.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Return to Technical Help