Panasonic CRT TV problem

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
DarthEnto

Panasonic CRT TV problem

Post by DarthEnto »

Hi, recently I got new crt tv for my consoles.
It is Panasonic Quintrix , model TX-29PS1P, flat CRT.
Not all my consoles works, and I don't know what is causing it.
Atari2600,NES,SNES,GameCube,PS1,DreamCast,XBOX works great, even SuperScope for SNES is working on it.
But N64(PAL and NTSC),Saturn,Master System, MegaDrive having the same problem - picture on TV jumping up and down slightly, maybe 1-2cm.
Have someone had this problem before?
I can't find anything about it online :cry: .
I want to know If it could be solved or I need to find another TV.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Panasonic CRT TV problem

Post by samsonlonghair »

Hi Darth,

It's hard for me to say what's the matter with your TV and console connections.
There's lot's of info in this video series:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 9D2YQ4rwnZ
I don't know if that'll answer your question, but you might learn something about retro console connections.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

DarthEnto wrote:It is Panasonic Quintrix , model TX-29PS1P, flat CRT.

Atari2600,NES,SNES,GameCube,PS1,DreamCast,XBOX works great, even SuperScope for SNES is working on it.

But N64(PAL and NTSC),Saturn,Master System, MegaDrive having the same problem - picture on TV jumping up and down slightly, maybe 1-2cm.

Welcome to Racketboy!

Please post a few screenshots at 725 pixels for an easy read. No videos to slug thru, pictures directly attached to your reply for a quick look. You could even edit the OP to include three attached pictures so they will be right at the top of this Thread.

The SNES and N64 use the same cable. Just to be sure cables are not an issue use that same cable for both the SNES and N64. This will eliminate if it is the cable.

Just to be sure, try the N64 both on the Panasonic CRT and another TV. This will confirm the console and cables are okay. If you are using SVideo, have care the pins can easily break.

You mentioned PAL/NTSC, I suspect this is the problem. Perhaps some consoles are misidentified and not matched to the TV? However that would cause more then just a picture jump. The screenshots will help identify this.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

If I was to hazard a guess, I would speculate that Darth's issues are related to sync. Different consoles handle sync differently. Improper vertical sync can sometimes cause "picture on TV jumping up and down".

Edit:
The more I think about it, the more I think that v-sync is an issue. Hey Darth, there should be a little flip-down door on front of your TV set. Open that door to find the v-sync adjustment buttons.
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/650299 ... e=6#manual

Play with the v-sync settings until your consoles come in clear. The best sync for one console may not work well for another console. You'll have to adjust the sync for each console individually each time you switch from one console to the next.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Sounds like a sync issue to me too.

If you try to use a PAL 50Hz console on an NTSC 60Hz TV (or vise versa), your image will bounce around.
DarthEnto

Post by DarthEnto »

Hi, thanks for your answers.
I've already tried swaping cables, different output types(RGB,AV,RF) etc.
Nothing helps.
Also I got to a service menu and I'd tried changing some settings with vsync, without any progress.
So I gave up with this TV for now, and luckily I got Sony Trinitron 25" for free and everything works great. It is a little bit smaller, but It is still better than 19" Thompson I had before.
So again, thanks you all for tips.
Here is my setup with Trinitron
Attachments
trinitron.jpg
trinitron.jpg (33.21 KiB) Viewed 1953 times
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Your Gaming wall looks sweet and evidence of consoles functional with the cables. With that center vertical post, plenty of support for the 25" CRT or even larger flat tube if you come across one later.

Is that PS1 Rayman 2 on the TV? Wait, I see two N64s!
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

DarthEnto

Post by DarthEnto »

Yes, it is Rayman 2 on ps1 ;)
I have one EU PAL N64 for PAL games and one modified Japan NTSC n64 for japan and US games, because there is no simple mod for PAL N64 to be region free.