JVC X'eye repair log (warning: spiders)

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Ghudda
128-bit

Re: JVC X'eye repair log (warning: spiders)

Post by Ghudda »

Ah, thanks for the support, team. My game plan is to just run a wire from each leg to the corresponding point on the board. I had to do something similar recently on my oXbox, which has a specific area of traces on the board that suffer from corrosion and required soldering to those small holes (not sure what they're called). Was debating lifting each leg before bridging, but I think i'll just leave them as is.

I'm eager to work on it, so hopefully I'll make some progress tonight.
B/S/TCollectionYouTube

test3
Ghudda
128-bit

Post by Ghudda »

So it's not pretty, but I have successfully jumped the points... and still nothing. I am in need of some ideas. I'll take some detailed shots of the boards for anyone that wants to investigate.

Must stay strong... must... stay... motivated.
B/S/TCollectionYouTube

test3
HPLovethrash

Post by HPLovethrash »

I hope I'm not getting on this too late! Did anything ever come of your repairs? I have a few X'eyes in need of repair but haven't been able to do any work on them lately...

If you post some detailed pics, I'll see if I can spot anything. Since some of the legs/traces have corrosion, you may consider testing continuity between all of the pins and locations further away on the board. This may seem obvious hah, but I think some of the traces run underneath the chips so perhaps there is corrosion that you can't see with them in the way.

One of my X'eyes (or perhaps a Genesis) had a power regulator issue too, can you check to see that it's putting out the right voltage? 5V is probably what you want but I can't remember at the moment...maybe it's putting out enough that the system half powers on but nothing can boot. I also read that recapping the power supply itself can help.

Maybe some of the caps you changed need extra solder? I did a Genesis 1 recap and had to touch up a few. Sometimes they connect to a trace on the bottom of the board, so even if the connection looks great on top, you may have removed enough solder initially that the throughhole doesn't have a continuity from top to bottom.

Have you seen the service/repair manuals on that Console5 TechWiki site? The X'Eye ones are pretty helpful. I actually just bought some amazing service manuals from a former JVC technician on Ebay, and one has a super detailed PCB schematic but with the chips removed (so you see where all the hidden traces are and such). Uploading high-res photos of that are on my to-do list but I can make it happen sooner if it would help!