New (to me) SNES Mini Video and Controller Problems

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

New (to me) SNES Mini Video and Controller Problems

Post by SuperDerpBro »

I just got a SNES mini. When i boot it up to the Mario World start screen the picture kind of shimmys left to right slightly. More at the top of the picture. Also it doesn't happen every time i boot. Maybe 8 or of 10 times. It also wont recognize any button presses. The game will recognize the controller if i remove and plug the controller back in again but i cant use any of the buttons. I tried manipulating the cord while pressing buttons.. nothing :(

Any ideas? I don't have any other games or controllers to test with but i did try other av cables. Same shimmy. :/

EDIT: Well, i just fired it up and the controller is working right now.... LOL. NFI. Mess with it more tomorrow, heh.
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: New (to me) SNES Mini Video and Controller Problems

Post by Anapan »

Post a pic of the video corruption. Sounds like a sync problem tho the description is vague. Is there a rounded/curved shift to the right on the top 1/8th of the screen that happens mostly when the screen's bright (like the overhead map)?
What type of display are you hooked up to? Which video cable are you using (composite, or s-video)?
Can you replicate the problem on another screen?
If it's a CRT, is there any noise (humm or buzz)?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

I tried to capture it in a pic or video and it doesn't show up. The entire screen moves a couple mm back and forth very quickly.

"Is there a rounded/curved shift to the right on the top 1/8th of the screen that happens mostly when the screen's bright (like the overhead map)?" No.

Its hooked up to a CRT via composite. Haven't had a chance to try another screen but this TV is what i use for all my older systems and the rest are fine (AV Famicom, Genesis, PS2 and oXbox). CRT has a slight buzz but it has for many years.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Tried a different power strip.. same thing :( duno what else to try really. Power supply is official.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Trying to eliminate easy-fix possibilities, have you tried swapping the AV-out cable with your AV Famicom?
The adapter I'm running on my SNES-Mini is model SNS-002 - 10V 850mA

For a boost in quality, you could get the SNES mini modded for S-Video & RGB, tho that may be a can of worms you don't want to open on a potentially malfunctioning console. On the other hand, having an experienced modder look at it, it might be an easy fix and an awesome upgrade.
There's a definite increase in the picture clarity between my modded mini & the original model I have from all the output signals.

Just a stab in the dark, but it may be a capacitor problem. There's a row of electrolytic capacitors on the mobo.

If you're familiar with a multimeter, and purchase or make a Security (game) bit, you could test those yourself, and find out:
http://console5.com/wiki/SNES
http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com ... -capacitor
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

I did try the cables from the AV Famicom. They are official Nintendo cables. Can't afford to ship it to a modder to look at it let alone mod it. Also, i prefer composite :). PSU is an official one. I have a multi meter and a gamebit. I'm gonna open it tomorrow and take a look. Thanks for the links :P
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Can't find my danged multi meter. Caps look visually ok. To my untrained eye hehe.

Was able to try another game.

https://i.imgur.com/gFjbzE7.jpg

Same move aroundy screen :(