ZX Spectrum 2+ Stuck on Test Screen

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
eDrinker

ZX Spectrum 2+ Stuck on Test Screen

Post by eDrinker »

Hello,

I hope you can point me in the right direction. I recently purchased a ZX Spectrum 2+ which I've never owned before or used. After booting, it gets stuck on the "test screen". After doing some reading I understand you can boot this screen by holding break when pressing reset. Although I assume it might happen if there is a problem. It makes repetitive beeps. I then read you can press qaz and plm keys to get a diagnosis but I can't even get that to work.

Any suggestions are appreciated, I think next step will be opening it up and cleaning it to see if I can get it work.

Here is the screenshot of the test page I am seeing: http://postimg.org/image/7k91xqly5/

Thanks,

Oz
eDrinker

Re: ZX Spectrum 2+ Stuck on Test Screen

Post by eDrinker »

For those that come across this post some time in the future looking at the same problem as me. This was the solution:

That'll be dirt contaminating the keyboard.

Remove the keyboard and disassemble the metal backplate, membrane and plastic portions. Remove as much dust/dirt from all as you can, and give the membrane a wipe with a clean cloth on both sides.

Reassemble and you should have a fully working Spectrum. This fault is quite common on +2 and +3 models and can result in getting a machine quite cheaply if you know what to look out for.
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Re: ZX Spectrum 2+ Stuck on Test Screen

Post by Thierry Henry »

eDrinker wrote:Reassemble and you should have a fully working Spectrum. This fault is quite common on +2 and +3 models and can result in getting a machine quite cheaply if you know what to look out for.

On a few +2's I've found the most common issue to be the drive belt (the larger one).
As well a bit of cleaning of the recording heads, and they're good to go. :)
"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"