PS1 randomly resets during play... power supply issue?

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: PS1 randomly resets during play... power supply issue?

Post by Hobie-wan »

The right pin in that picture for the power socket looks cracked to me as I see a line loop. Just heat up your iron and touch it to the solder and remelt it so it one blob again.
SpaceKappa
8-bit

Post by SpaceKappa »

Awesome, thanks so much for your help, guys. I'll try fixing the right point tomorrow and give it a test. It's just weird because it's so sporadic that it's hard to tell, but I'll leave it running for a while to be sure.

I don't think it's the power cord, because real estate is at a premium in my setup so I just switch the power cord between my PS1 and PS2 depending on which one I want to play and the PS2 doesn't have any issues.
s8n
128-bit

Post by s8n »

any updates with your PS1 Kappa ?
SpaceKappa
8-bit

Post by SpaceKappa »

I tried soldering and it didn't work, the console still reset during play. I found a spare PSU for sale on etsy for cheap enough that I didn't mind just paying for a replacement. :P

Funny thing is, though, after I soldered the old PSU I decided to test it a bit by playing Symphony of the Night. During the intro with Richter during a couple of screen transitions, what almost looked like a BIOS screen would pop up saying "OVER: 80191" and some random number strings. The music kept playing, and when I hit start they'd go away and the game would be right where it was. It happened twice and was really weird. I Googled it but nothing came up. I know it was just a coincidence, but it freaked me out!
littlepug

Post by littlepug »

It happenned to me and here's what I did : I tightened the two bent metal leads that cling to the power sockets. It's been working so far.