PlayStation RGB - sync on green?

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

PlayStation RGB - sync on green?

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

Heya, everyone. I got a little sick of video noise while I was playing my PlayStation. I thought about buying an S-Video cable, but since I already have a PS3 RGB/Component cable I decided to try that out. I heard American PS1s supported RGB and the internet says it needs sync on green.

My TV is an old, Mitsubishi, Pre-HDMI, CRT HDTV. It has a R-G-B-H-V/Component connection, 5 RCA cables. The manual says it supports sync on green. There's also something about plugging a coax cable into ANT-1, but that wouldn't make any sense if I've already got RGB...right? I couldn't try it since the PS1 has only one AV slot anyway.

So I plugged the PS1 into the RGBHV port and turned it on. I got a very clear picture of the bios screen, but right away it started stretching and scrolling diagonally across the screen. I know I had all the cables plugged in properly, since the colors were right. It looked pretty out of sync to me! The PS1 and the TV both support sync on green, so what's up with this?
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
DinnerX
Next-Gen

Re: PlayStation RGB - sync on green?

Post by DinnerX »

RGB and component are very different things. Yes it's confusing. The PSone cannot output component as far as I know.
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

My TV supports Component and RGBHV through the same port. Plus the PS2 and PS3 output RGB and Component with the same cable. There's even a setting the PS2 Bios for that. Also, if it had been running in Component mode, I would have gotten purple instead of the proper white BIOS colors.
Last edited by Valkyrie-Favor on Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

DinnerX wrote:RGB and component are very different things. Yes it's confusing. The PSone cannot output component as far as I know.

yup I second this.

I have the green/red/blue cable.

Have it hooked up for my ps2. On a LCD TV.

Felt like playing some PS1, so I then connected the PS with the RGB cable......

to get nothing. :(

so It doesn't work with that. Just get the svideo cable or classic yellow/white/red.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

The original PlayStation and PSone do not output RGB or Component, despite the fact that the AV cables fit properly.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Fourthing. S-video is your best from a PS1/PSOne. It is very nice output though.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

Hobie-wan wrote:Fourthing. S-video is your best from a PS1/PSOne. It is very nice output though.

yep. i agree.
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

I know it doesn't support component, but if the PS1 doesn't support RGB at all, how did I get a picture, even an synchronized one, with the RGB cables in an RGB port?
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

I did some more research and although they both support RGB and sync on green, my TV requires a high refresh rate. Oh well.

Thanks for the help, though.
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

Huh? I've never heard of PS1 hardware supporting sync on green...

Component is a firm definitive no however. It certainly doesn't offer that as stated multiple times.
Lum fan.