Sega CD won't read any discs- need help

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
jjcard

Sega CD won't read any discs- need help

Post by jjcard »

I got a Sega CD a while back in pretty good condition. I got a power supply from a genesis 1 that I am using with it. I hooked it up to my Genesis 2 and it will turn on and show the CD screen and when I press start it says there is no disc in the tray. It has what I guess is the music CD screen, but it won't let me move the courser, I don't know if that is important. The red light on it flashes, is not constant, also don't know if that is important. I tried cleaning my connectors on my genesis and switching for another genesis I have, neither worked.
I really want to play some of the CD games that I got, and I don't have really a lot of money to just buy a new one, I need advice or suggestions on how to fix it please!!
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Sega CD won't read any discs- need help

Post by CRTGAMER »

Try a regular non burned music disc to verify if CD drive works. Polishing the game disc and cleaning the laser eye may help.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

jjcard

Post by jjcard »

I have tried putting a music CD in it (actually used the disc that came with FF anthology since it was close at hand) and that didn't work. What would I need to do to clean the laser eye? just wipe it down or do I have to do something special?
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Get a q-tip and dampen it with rubbing alcohol. You want it to be wet but not dripping. Drag it lightly across the lens a few times. Try not to really push down at all.
brendanraymond
24-bit

Post by brendanraymond »

you have bad caps on the power circuit... replace em and you will find it will come back to lyfe
FuzzyRobot

Post by FuzzyRobot »

Is it even spinning the disc? Put your ear to it and listen, or open the door and see if the disc is moving at all after you turn it on.

If yes, it could be a lens assembly issue. As previously mentioned, GENTLY cleaning the lens with alcohol and a q-tip may help, especially if it was in a smoker's environment or just a generally dusty area. Do not push down on the lens, and don't soak the q-tip, either. Drag it across a clean paper towel to remove excess alcohol.

If it isn't spinning the disc at all, it could be a worn out motor or a simple cable issue. Remove all screws on the bottom of the unit to remove the top half, and confirm that all cables are connected and secure. The last unit I ordered from eBay had a loose cable that prevented the motor from spinning discs . . . probably not a common issue, but worth a quick visual check.

If that doesn't work, just hook it up without the cover (I can't recall precisely how, but you'll have to make it think the CD door is there and closed), and see what it does exactly. Try spinning the disc manually (if the motor doesn't already spin it), and see if the message at the bottom of your screen changes at all. Don't push down on the disc.

Make sure the lens assembly isn't stuck, and can move back and forth freely.

Check the rest of the insides, make sure there's no fried bugs in there, blackened areas, et cetera.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

The capacitors are a slight possibility and a meticulous last resort repair. I think its something with the drive itself, especially the laser pickup. Disc not spinning still could mean the laser eye cannot focus. If cleaning doesn't help may have to adjust the potentiometer. But first clean the contacts between the CD drive and Console.
Attachments
Electrical Contact Cleaner.jpg
Electrical Contact Cleaner.jpg (14 KiB) Viewed 10820 times
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

jjcard

Post by jjcard »

I can hear something going when I turn it on, so I think it is spinning, but I will defiantly try cleaning it, that you guys so much for you help:!:
delmoko

Post by delmoko »

jjcard,

Did you ever get this to work? My Sega CD is doing the SAME THING. Wondering how
this turned out for you.

Please let me know, as I plan to clean it, then take it apart and check wires etc...

I have about 10 games I wanna play!!!

Thanks,
Delmoko
s1mplehumar
Next-Gen

Post by s1mplehumar »

Model 1 or 2? The optical block might be misaligned. Fairly easy adjustment. Let us know how the cleaning goes first.
Nintendo ID, PSN, XBL: Eronnicus * Steam ID: s1mplehumar * Switch Friend Code: SW-3270-7921-5525