How easy/cheap is it to replace an original GBA screen?

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

How easy/cheap is it to replace an original GBA screen?

Post by noiseredux »

I found an original GBA at a yard sale for $1 a while ago, and the screen is all scratched up. I'm wondering how easy it is to actually replace the screen? How technically involved is the process? I don't really NEED it, as I have an SP. But wondering if it'd be worth repairing to sell or trade?
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: How easy/cheap is it to replace an original GBA screen?

Post by samsonlonghair »

I did something like this ten years ago. Separating the front half of the case from the back half is easy if you have the right screwdriver. I seem to recall that the hardest part was prying the old screen off the rear side of the front face. The screen is glued in place pretty well. It would be difficult to remove a screen without breaking it... but yours is already broken... so I guess that's not a concern for you.

If you want to make the process easier on yourself, buy a replacement screen as a separate item. I'm sure it would be much cheaper to take a screen from another GBA than to buy a replacement screen, but you run the (not insignificant) risk of breaking a working screen in that case.

Another thought... and my memory is kinda fuzzy so bear with me... I seem to recall that when I separated the front half of the case from the back half I wound up dropping the shoulder buttons onto the floor and losing them for a few minutes. Turns out there's not much holding those in place. I had to reach under the couch to find one. Kind of a pain. Look out for that.

If I was facing this task today, then I'd approach it differently. There are many upgrades available today that didn't exist ten years ago. I would go all out with a backlit screen and a glass screen cover. There are so many cool mods in the GBA scene!
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Are you referring to the front plastic, or the internal LCD? If it's only the front plastic, you can just use a spudger tool or guitar pic to pry the old plastic off, and some comressed air to blow any dust away before applying the new glass lense.

As far ast taking it apart, you need a triwing screwdriver, but those are really cheap. As samsonlonghair said, the two metal posts that work as hinges for the shoulder buttons can fall out of the holes, making the springs fly off too. Aside from that everything is pretty straightforward. Just follow along with a youtube video if you need help.

I've heard great things about the replacement IPS screens @ funnyplaying.com, but I don't know more than that they're as good or better than the AGS-101 blacklit screens. I think shell cutting is involved.

I have a NM original GBA with a 32 pin LCD that I'm going to install the GBA Consolizer into shortly. If you want original parts, I'd be happy to mail the LCD and front plastic for free.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Anapan wrote:I have a NM original GBA with a 32 pin LCD that I'm going to install the GBA Consolizer into shortly. If you want original parts, I'd be happy to mail the LCD and front plastic for free.

oh man, that would be awesome. Thanks! I'm in no rush - whenever you get around to it. :D
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

No problem; I'll mail it off shortly after I install the Consolizer. I'll send some double-sided adhesive tape if any of the original decides to stay on the console side after removal.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Consolizer finally arrived! I'll be converting the GBA tonight.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Anapan wrote:Consolizer finally arrived! I'll be converting the GBA tonight.

That’s real groovy. Take pictures, and let us know how it turns out. :mrgreen:
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Everything went perfectly. The lense, adhesive and LCD salvage went perfectly as well - I'll mail them out in the next day or so.
Pics as requested.
Here's a video on removing the LCD and lense (part of the consolizer install)
If you are simply replacing the plastic lense, you can probably semi-destructively remove the old lense without taking the GBA apart as long as you don't damage the shell. It's held on fairly securely, so disassembly will make things easier.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Post by samsonlonghair »

Anapan wrote:Everything went perfectly. The lense, adhesive and LCD salvage went perfectly as well - I'll mail them out in the next day or so.
Pics as requested.
Here's a video on removing the LCD and lense (part of the consolizer install)
If you are simply replacing the plastic lense, you can probably semi-destructively remove the old lense without taking the GBA apart as long as you don't damage the shell. It's held on fairly securely, so disassembly will make things easier.

Looks cool! Thanks for posting photos :mrgreen: