Sega 32X - No Video Output for Genesis/Black Screen for 32X

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Sega 32X - No Video Output for Genesis/Black Screen for 32X

Post by Czernobog »

After much time spent away from retro gaming due to life circumstances, I was finally able to start hooking up my consoles again in my new place. Alas, my Sega Model 2/32X/CD2 combo is not as it once was.

I have verified the CD and Genesis are working correctly.

The 32X produces sound but no picture when inserting a Genesis game, and goes to a black screen with no sound when inserting a 32X game. I have verified the cables are correct/working and the power supply is working. I fear the 32X may be fried but am willing to try any repair suggestions. (Although my electronics knowledge is severely limited). Here is a picture of the interior of the unit:

Any help/suggestions/confirmation on unit status is much appreciated!
Ziggy

Re: Sega 32X - No Video Output for Genesis/Black Screen for

Post by Ziggy »

See those two white ribbon cables? They're extremely finicky. Try reinserting them. They have to be just right.
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

Ziggy587 wrote:See those two white ribbon cables? They're extremely finicky. Try reinserting them. They have to be just right.

This does indeed appear to be the issue. It looks like it will take me a few tries to get them in their sweet spot, but it's certainly having an effect on the video output.

Thank you Ziggy!
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

UPDATE: These ribbon cables are hellspawn incarnate. I hate them with every fiber of my being. They are the apex of infuriating human engineering. The battle continues onward.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Are there pins on both sides of the ribbon cable? Or just one?
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

Ziggy587 wrote:Are there pins on both sides of the ribbon cable? Or just one?

Both sides. I have tried re-seating both ends of both ribbons a few times, with mixed results of the video signal coming back briefly before cutting out. It looks like the ribbons got an extra crease in them at some point however, which I fear caused damage to the cables themselves. I probably did it years ago when I was cleaning things. Not sure if their salvageable. I've cleaned all the pins on the unit boards and ribbons.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

So there's an easy way to check the ribbon cables for damage. You just need the continuity settings on a digital multi meter. Touch one probe to a pin on one end of the cable and the other probe to the corresponding pin on the other side of the cable. Then go pin by pin and check the entire cable. Those ribbon cables should be stock parts. If one or both are damaged, they're replaceable.

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is, but another thing you could try is bending the pins of the socket (VERY DELICATELY) so that they pinch the cable better. Exactly like how people bend the pins of a NES toaster cartridge connector.
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

I checked the pins with a multi-meter and they do appear to have continuity so I have been trying to find the sweet spot for the ribbons again. If I leave the right ribbon unhooked the 32X will act as a pass-through for the Sega CD (but not he Genny) albeit with the colors still sporadic:

I have managed to go from only sound with both ribbons inserted to variations of a technicolor hellscape:

The fiddling shall continue :lol:
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

UPDATE: BOOYAH!!!

Thank you for your help Ziggy! Getting those ribbon cables situated properly was surprisingly arduous but eventually did the trick and I learned how to test continuity for a cable. :D
marurun

Post by marurun »

Ziggy has that effect on people. Also, my phone desperately wants to correct Ziggy to Soggy.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.