What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by REPO Man »

I've played the Atari 2600 Keystone Kops game.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Anything made before 1927 is now in the public domain in the US, so check the date and maybe you can find a free (and fully legal) copy somewhere.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

The Grand Bizarre is an abstract film that almost rivals one of the best entries of the genre. Haven't completely figured out the narrative of it yet, but it begins to show quilts in a more abstract sense, and then shows scenes of them being created, and there's always the theme of travel (the train shots with the quilt changing each frame was mindblowing). I assume the theme would be about how materials connects with all of us? Either way it's fantastic.

I've decided to give mainstream Bollywood another chance, and I've been told that Band Baaja Baaraat [Wedding Planners] is good for people not well versed in the genre. And I gotta say, not only was this a fun blast to go through with great songs, but it takes that douchebag that people grow into trope and does so masterfully. It is melodramatic, but it becomes one of the more original romcoms I've seen. Definitely curious to watch more.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Not a silent movie guy or know anything about that stuff but of course I've heard of Chaplin like most people. Why does he suck? I mean there's no lines lol. Clue me in on that because when you say silent films, that is the "guy" most people think of.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

I find Buster Keaton a lot more engaging because his plots are more absurd, and the stunts he does is still entertaining as hell. Jackie Chan said that Buster Keaton is a huge influence. My main beef with Chaplin are his "talkies", no matter what he aims for the "feel bad for me" direction, even the one where he played a guy who killed older women. If that was just a dark comedy of a serial killer it would have SO MUCH BETTER.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

PretentiousHipster wrote:I find Buster Keaton a lot more engaging because his plots are more absurd, and the stunts he does is still entertaining as hell. Jackie Chan said that Buster Keaton is a huge influence. My main beef with Chaplin are his "talkies", no matter what he aims for the "feel bad for me" direction, even the one where he played a guy who killed older women. If that was just a dark comedy of a serial killer it would have SO MUCH BETTER.

Well I might just check that dude out on a rainy day. And I wasn't trying to sound like a smart ass lol. Y'all guys get down on another level when it comes to movies, so just trying to pick your brain a little.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

stickem wrote:
PretentiousHipster wrote:I find Buster Keaton a lot more engaging because his plots are more absurd, and the stunts he does is still entertaining as hell. Jackie Chan said that Buster Keaton is a huge influence. My main beef with Chaplin are his "talkies", no matter what he aims for the "feel bad for me" direction, even the one where he played a guy who killed older women. If that was just a dark comedy of a serial killer it would have SO MUCH BETTER.

Well I might just check that dude out on a rainy day. And I wasn't trying to sound like a smart ass lol. Y'all guys get down on another level when it comes to movies, so just trying to pick your brain a little.

No problem man, I really enjoy talking about it! :)

It was my passion for like a decade, but just focusing on one hobby, disregarding a social life even, made me quite depressed so I wanna start branching out. It's why I'm here.

EDIT: Here's a good one of his. Only 45 minutes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QmMHu1mhLE
Ack

Post by Ack »

My favorite Keaton physical gag is actually him sitting on the side of the train wheel, looking so sullen as it starts to move in The General. He made all of his stunts feel so effortless and natural.

Also, look up Harold Lloyd's work sometime if you take further interest in silent comedy. Chaplin, Keaton, and Lloyd is your gateway drug.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Yea Lloyd is fun. Boris Barnet is not slapstick but good Russian silent comedy. I think W.C. Fields did a handful of silents. I remember hating one of them but The Bank Dick was great.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Yeah, Fields did some silents. Surprisingly, Laurel and Hardy teamed up early enough to do a bunch of silent shorts too, but it was right at the end of the era; they had fully transitioned to sound by the time they started doing feature length works.