Star Trek Appreciation Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
strangenova
Next-Gen

Star Trek Appreciation Thread

Post by strangenova »

So I making this thread to talk about the upcoming star trek series!(Obviously) But what I really want to know is, what you are hoping this is gonna be. Like where in the timeline is it gonna be, and maybe some storylines that get touched on, anything really.

I for one am actually hoping it's not on board another enterprise (it most likely will be) because I feel there is certain homage you have to pay when you put your crew on a 'NCC 1701 Enterprise'. I just wanna see this new series go in a bold new direction.

Let's share the trekkie love cause I am so excited for this!
Last edited by strangenova on Tue May 24, 2016 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: New Star Trek Series-Hopes and Dreams

Post by Gunstar Green »

As long as we get a memorable ensemble cast, a positive message, and thought provoking science fiction I'll be happy. I'm really tired of doom and gloom science fiction and miss the optimism in Trek.

My hopes are it will be in the classic universe (likely due to the bad blood between CBS and Bad Robot, since Bad Robot gets royalties on any merchandise taking place in the Abramsverse) but that's not a deal breaker for me as long as they're interested in telling Trek-style stories and not defaulting to being an off-brand Star Wars like the current movie series.

As for the ship, I don't really care one way or another if it's a new Enterprise or not. It likely will be because of marketing reasons though they may surprise us.

I'm not sure I want a bold new direction. I got enough of that with the new films and it didn't work for me at all. I know I probably sound like an angry old man but I just kind of want Star Trek back.

That said I hope if it is set in the classic series that they don't make it another prequel or set it during the TNG era because they should have some creative freedom to make it their own.

My girlfriend and I joke around about them making a show called "Star Trek: Klingons" where they come in contact with a mystery at the beginning of each episode, blow it up, and roll credits. :lol:
Ack

Post by Ack »

Gunstar Green wrote:My girlfriend and I joke around about them making a show called "Star Trek: Klingons" where they come in contact with a mystery at the beginning of each episode, blow it up, and roll credits. :lol:

I would totally watch that.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Ack wrote:
Gunstar Green wrote:My girlfriend and I joke around about them making a show called "Star Trek: Klingons" where they come in contact with a mystery at the beginning of each episode, blow it up, and roll credits. :lol:

I would totally watch that.

Agreed that show sounds hilarious and awesome.

As for the bold new direction, I don't care for the Abrams movies either. What I want is a star trek that's not held down too much by the past. I'd like for it to be set sometime after the tng era and maybe see star fleet struggling to remain with its ideals intact in the wake of the Dominion war and conflicts with romulus. While still exploring brave new worlds of course.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I just want it to be post-Nemesis and (hopefully but I'm doubtful given the fucked up status of the series' rights) deal with the political situation created by the destruction of Romulus and Remus.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

strangenova wrote:As for the bold new direction, I don't care for the Abrams movies either. What I want is a star trek that's not held down too much by the past. I'd like for it to be set sometime after the tng era and maybe see star fleet struggling to remain with its ideals intact in the wake of the Dominion war and conflicts with romulus. While still exploring brave new worlds of course.

I agree, and it's possible since CBS considers Star Trek Online to be "canon" though I don't know how much of it will hold up in the wake of a new show.

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I just want it to be post-Nemesis and (hopefully but I'm doubtful given the fucked up status of the series' rights) deal with the political situation created by the destruction of Romulus and Remus.

The same as stated above in regards to post-Nemesis, as that's essentially the plot of Star Trek Online.

The rights issues are mainly merchandising squabbles which is why video games have been effected and why Star Trek Online doesn't touch the Abramsverse with a ten foot pole excepting some snide references with items like the "red matter generator".
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Yeah, I'd be totally happy if they'd take the plot of Star Trek Online's missions (at least most of them; they fucked up the Borg and 8472 hard IMO) and made them canon. I don't care what CBS says; as far as I'm concerned, it's not canon unless it's in a show or movie. Video games certainly don't count for me.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Yeah, I'd be totally happy if they'd take the plot of Star Trek Online's missions (at least most of them; they fucked up the Borg and 8472 hard IMO) and made them canon. I don't care what CBS says; as far as I'm concerned, it's not canon unless it's in a show or movie. Video games certainly don't count for me.

I agree. I feel like they only call it canon to draw fanboys in and it's only going to remain canon until it's not convenient anymore.

If Star Wars has shown us anything, the concept of canon is meaningless and can change at any moment. I personally go by the ideology that a long running franchise's canon is whatever you want it to be in your own head.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

ElkinFencer10 wrote: I don't care what CBS says; as far as I'm concerned, it's not canon unless it's in a show or movie. Video games certainly don't count for me.

Agreed. Film affects a greater audience than book, comics, games and the like. So it's easy for a company to just write off their importance in the grand scheme of things
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I'd definitely be pleased with Star Trek Online's timeline of events (time frame) as a reference for the new series, but if they also went well back in time to the mostly untouched. Those pigs at UPN screwed up Enterprise intentionally between screwing with the night it was on and dragging out a story for its 2 middle years few cared about that it helped kill it in 4 years yet the development and early exploration of year 1 and 4 were awesome. Taking from that point where the Federation is actually founded and then spinning out from that point in time a new story and with a new crew with be amazing (placing it between Archer and Kirk eras.)

I forgot there was supposed to be some new series coming, and I guess I'm the bad guy in this but I really enjoy those Abrams movies for Trek (and Star Wars too.) They are their own thing and I'm good with it. I grew up in the 80s watching out of KTLA5 from LA seeing Star Trek at 5pm every day before dinner and it was a trip as much as the 89 series (TNG) dropping right as that went off TV as it was something special and new in a new era. That's why I'd love to see something post-Archer dawn of the Federation era as it would be more about classic Trek exploration and weirdness than the modern drama and conflict junk trying to piddle around like some wannabe Star Wars battle.