Books!

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
TSTR
Next-Gen

Re: Books 2K14 edition

Post by TSTR »

^The cover looks like Microsoft Spaceship Simulator 1998 or something.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

TSTR wrote:^The cover looks like Microsoft Spaceship Simulator 1998 or something.

Here yare

I mentioned it in the Games Beaten thread but I'm totally getting hyped for the big reveal of Jurassic World in the next few weeks and so I'm probably going to end up reading through the Crichton books again. It's been a long time since I've read his gruesome imagery. Unlike the movie, the book isn't particularly nice and good feeling in... any way really. Not that I can remember. And thats the way I like it.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Most recently I've been reading Hostage to the Devil: The Possession and Exorcism of Five Contemporary Americans by Malachi Martin circa 1999. This is a very disturbing book to read, and not so much in the obvious ways you'd think. I am perturbed by cross references with things I have also read about in Gone West by John Sebastian Marlowe Ward, a book that was published in 1917.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

HALP! I think I'm becoming addicted to audiobooks :shock: :shock:
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

Might as well be the last book I finish reading this year. You'll never look at your pet the same way again :lol:
puke_face

Post by puke_face »

We're going to need a new title for this thread soon, lol.

Anyways, I've got my reading cut out for me for the foreseeable future.

My wife got me these two books for Christmas:

Poilu

The plan that broke the world

On top of trying to finish Don Quixote....
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I read a lot of portions of books for job-related stuff, but this is the list of books I read from cover to cover this year:

1. Robert Chambers - The King in Yellow
2. Ytasha Womack - Afrofuturism: The World of Black Sci-Fi and Fantasy Culture
3. Greg Costikyan - Uncertainty in Games
4. Jesper Juul - The Art of Failure: An Essay on the Pain of Playing Video Games
5. Graeme Kirkpatrick - Computer Games and the Social Imaginary
6. David Gaider - Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne
7. Ernest Cline - Ready Player One
8. Bill Kunkel - Confessions of the Game Doctor
9. Frederic Gros - A Philosophy of Walking

I always feel like this is a paltry list every year. It is clear that, this year, it was faaaar too focused on games. I think next year I plan to attack this thread as aggressively as I attack the "Games Beaten" thread annually. I just picked up a bunch of non-gaming stuff anyway over the past few weeks, so I am looking forward to doing some more reading soon.
Last edited by dsheinem on Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

I think I did 23-25 books this year, mostly nonfiction, but I don't feel better informed than I was 12 months ago :lol:
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Pulsar_t wrote:I think I did 23-25 books this year, mostly nonfiction, but I don't feel better informed than I was 12 months ago :lol:

~25 is quite respectable. I have had some interest in more than a few of the titles you've listed.

I am actually reading one I may finish today and might try to grab a quick one tomorrow to flesh my list out to a more respectable 10. So it may not be final. The problem is that I find reading is hard to do as an "escape" when I am doing so much reading all the time for stuff I have to do.

Also, this is where I picked up a bunch of (e)books earlier this week - it may be of interest to you since you liked some of my previous suggestions: http://www.versobooks.com/blogs/1802-al ... il-jan-1st
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

dsheinem wrote:I think next year I plan to attack this thread as aggressively as I attack the "Games Beaten" thread annually.

I used to be a voracious reader, but since my job consists of reading things all day (and since I read several books a night to my children), I do not do nearly as much recreational reading as I did when I was younger.

I am going to try to remedy that in 2015 by linking some recreational reading to my gaming. For example, I am finishing up a collection of H.P. Lovecraft's work, and I plan to follow up the book with Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth (Xbox). I hope to do the somethign similar by reading Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged before playing through Bioshock (PS3), and I plan on reading Arthur Waley's Monkey: A Folk Novel of China before playing through several video games based on the The Journey to the West. (I am thinking Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo (Wii), Enslaved (PS3), and Saint (Wii)...and, if I am still up for it, Monkey Hero (PS1), Monkey Magic (PS1), and SonSon (ARCADE).)