Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Re: The Comic Book Thread

by marurun Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:40 pm

Bryan Q. Miller
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:40 pm

marurun wrote:Reading Stephanie Brown’s tenure as Batgirl. Not bad. Takes place when Dick has stepped in as Batman with Damien as Robin.

That time was the best in the recent Batbooks. The banter between Steff and Damian is classic, plus Scott Snyder's first Batman story with Dick as Batman is awesome. I look forward to a Nightwing and James Gordon Jr reunion.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:07 pm

The Definitive Truth Behind Why Brian Michael Bendis Left Marvel For DC
That’s right, little bleeders. According to Cleveland reporter Michael Sangiacomo, The Great One was inspired to leave Marvel after visiting the Cleveland Library and finding himself in awe of their Superman exhibit!

“I was in town for my brother’s wedding and I went to the library, which was so important to me growing up, and I saw the Superman display,” Bendis revealed. “It was a flood of impressions and Cleveland connections. While looking at the Superman artifacts, I realized that I had not climbed the DC mountain and I needed to.”

Bendis, a Cleveland native (which explains a lot — just ask LeBron James), went on to reiterate that the Superman exhibit at the Cleveland library was indeed the primary factor in his decision.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11/15 ... t=Netvibes

Woo! Go Superman go CLE!
As a DC fan, I am super excieted to see Bendis take on the DCU. He has been throwing around hints that he may be working on Kirby's New Gods... and maybe Superman since that was the final straw that lead him from Marvel to DC.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:55 pm

I'm a much bigger Marvel fan but damn, respect his reasons. Humbling really. No big drama, just... What he wanted to do.
marurun

by marurun Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:12 am

Read the first 10 issues of Manhattan Projects and the first 10 of Wayward. I enjoyed both a great deal. Manhattan Projects is pretty darn weird, though. But that's the point, so, yeah.

Also tried reading some Grendel, but I didn't get into it. I finished up the current releases of Rat Queens and while I loved it for a while there, the "reset" going into volume 1 / 4 is weird and annoying. I understand why the creator/author did it, but it's annoying because it cuts off a major dangling plot thread.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:30 am

I've read the first trade for Wayward, but not past that.

Amazon put Marvel stuff on sale around when Thor Ragnarok came out in the US (very fun movie), so I wound up getting more on Kindle. More Hellcat, the Mockingbird mini series, and Vision that I've read. All good in their ways.

Currently in the A Nation at our Feet Black Panther series. Also got Marvel 1602.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:38 am

haven't had as much reading time lately.* I think the last thing I read was the Batman/Aliens collection (pretty meh), and the first issue of Champions (2016) (fricking fantastic).

@isiolia: Did you read the full run of Mockingbird? That's uh, nine issues if I recall along with a one-shot. The first 5 issues are seriously brilliant. I didn't care for the second arc as much - the one on the boat that is a Civil War II tie-in. It felt super rushed and muddled, although in fairness I don't believe that Chelsea Cain intended on ending it there originally.

*BUT, I have been slowly watching my way through the DC Universe Animated Originals chronologically over the past few months. I guess I can talk about them here since they're almost all based very closely on specific comic runs.

1. Superman: Doomsday
(based on "The Death Of Superman")
So good. So so good. This first movie is just such a mindblowingly great way to start this series off. Let me just say that even as a defender of Batman Vs Superman (seriously, it's not that bad), this animated film just beats the shit out of the whole 2nd half of BvS which tried to tell the same story. Doomsday is such a moody piece, right down to the sparse soundtrack. The voice acting is great too. The scene where Lois Lane goes to meet Martha Kent actually teared me up.

2. Justice League: The New Frontier
(based on "DC: The New Frontier")
Very good. Starts off a bit slow, but then does a commendable job of introducing so many characters to one story. You've got Green Lantern and The Flash and Martian Manhunter (who is awesome here) and like, basically everyone. The story is a really good one about solidarity and all. Totally enjoyable and would watch again.

3. Batman: Gotham Knight
Ugh. I hated this one. Sad to say that the first Batman movie in this series just did nothing for me. But this one also sticks out like a sore thumb. The art doesn't feel like the the previous two films (or all the ones that came after it). It doesn't even technically take place in the same universe as the other films, so it's kind of odd that it was released under the same banner. Instead it was supposedly meant to take place within the universe of the Nolan films, I believe taking place between Batman Begins and Dark Knight. Anyway, it's a pretty sucky anthology

4. Wonder Woman
(based on "Gods & Mortals")
This was AWESOME. At first you think it's going to follow the same storyline as what eventually appeared in the live action movie, but then it goes off in a totally different direction. The movie does a great job of dealing with some very heavy themes as well. And Kerri Russell's voice work is to be commended! Totally recommend this one.

...I've already got the next three lined up (Green Lantern: First Flight, Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, and Justice League: Crisis On Two Earths).
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:58 am

noiseredux wrote:@isiolia: Did you read the full run of Mockingbird? That's uh, nine issues if I recall along with a one-shot. The first 5 issues are seriously brilliant. I didn't care for the second arc as much - the one on the boat that is a Civil War II tie-in. It felt super rushed and muddled, although in fairness I don't believe that Chelsea Cain intended on ending it there originally.

Yep, the two trades (albeit in digital form). The first one is the "puzzle box" 5 issue set, which was definitely stronger. The second has the cruise ship story issues plus the Fear Itself issue(s) tacked on that show how she ended up getting upgraded, as it were.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:38 pm

Somebody left a bunch of Invader Zim comics on the free table. I watched the show, but never read the comics. Man, they are fantastic, it's clear that the excellent writing is what made the show so funny!
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:19 pm

I just picked up the first issue of Doomsday Clock. It is the first individual comic book I have purchased for myself since the 90's. It is a very good start to the series. I am really interested to see where they go with this.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever