Random Thoughts Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Markies
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Post by Markies »

Ziggy587 wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:But I guess if they still make them and keep them, someone is actually buying.

Bingo.

You wouldn't buy merch to a favorite YouTube channel of yours to show off that you like it and/or support the channel?

I have bought several shirts and merchandise from small websites that I enjoy.

It's a great way to give them money and I like supporting them.

Also, I have met people who recognize the shirt and have enjoyed talking to them about it.

In a year, I'll be 40 and I won't be throwing my 'gamer shirts' any time soon, so take it as you will. :D
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Ziggy587 wrote:Would you buy a Racketboy coffee mug?

No, I rather pay donations. The thing with donations it works great if you pay little but everyone has to do it. There is an open source project called PiHole that has 100K subscribers on their subreddit. If they all donate just $5, thats half a million dollars yearly. Not sure if its enough for the project though.

I think the idea behind merchandise is people are too stingy to donate $5, but they rather buy a $20 t-shirt. This way they feel they got the better end of the bargain. Jokes on them as the merchant probably made it for $5 and made $15(3x more) selling it to them. People behaviour is illogical.
marurun

Post by marurun »

The idea behind Tshirts and other stuff is that people are giving money but also showing their support when they use those things.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

marurun wrote:The idea behind Tshirts and other stuff is that people are giving money but also showing their support when they use those things.

It's like charity auctions/raffles. People tend to be hesitant to just give money, but if they get something in return (even if objectively it is overpriced for them) it's much more palatable.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

MrPopo wrote:
marurun wrote:The idea behind Tshirts and other stuff is that people are giving money but also showing their support when they use those things.

It's like charity auctions/raffles. People tend to be hesitant to just give money, but if they get something in return (even if objectively it is overpriced for them) it's much more palatable.

My thoughts exactly, I think it gives them self satisfaction that they did something good and have something to show it off with like those "sober for 6 months" tokens. While I might support a project(Wikipedia) or a cause(Doctors without Borders, I still won't wear a PewDiePie hat!
marurun

Post by marurun »

I’m not sure why any rational person would want a PewDiePie hat.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I have a Racketboy tumbler and use it regularly.

Gin & Tonic is my favorite mixed drink and it glows under a black-light.
I like loot and would totally buy a mug. I bought a Smudge the table cat shirt, and a Chadtronic hoodie this year, and well as a bunch of unofficial Ugandan Knuckles stuff.
I also produced a small unofficial/unsanctioned run of Accursed Farms Ross shirts for Discord members - freely given to first responders.

I figure it's about time to mention that this year's charity auction may not happen. My current work does not look like it's going to end, and I'd still be able to run it if I got a operation date for my carpal tunnel surgery. As it is, my days off would not make me able to properly administrate it. I'm waiting on some news otherwise, but as is, I'm one of a handful of skeleton crew working through till near Christmas, and probably part of post-holiday startup. If someone wanted to volunteer, I'd do most of the grunt work immediately, and be available whenever, but I cannot say I will have time. I do have a bunch of neat stuff to donate too. I'd be happy to team up and do most everything ahead of time. It's mostly maintaining template-made stuff so it only requires regular editing of forum posts and a text list of results. It's mostly the PM backend I might not be available to properly handle.

Pewdiepie and rationality do not mix, he targets toddlers.

Please PM me if you want to collaborate on the annual charity auction - I will shortly make a hard decision due to circumstances. If I do cancel, there will be a sale thread for my own wares that I'll donate directly.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Thank you for all of your work on the charity auction over the years. With the much smaller community, I am not sure it is worth holding it anymore, but I am certain that, while you ran it, it made a real difference in people’s lives. You should be very proud of that.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I could see doing something like this as part of an ad hoc group of like-minded forum communities, or for a particular cause close to the RB community, but we're smaller enough now that we haven't had those same calls to action.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Anapan wrote:I have a Racketboy tumbler and use it regularly.

Gin & Tonic is my favorite mixed drink and it glows under a black-light.
I like loot and would totally buy a mug. I bought a Smudge the table cat shirt, and a Chadtronic hoodie this year, and well as a bunch of unofficial Ugandan Knuckles stuff.
I also produced a small unofficial/unsanctioned run of Accursed Farms Ross shirts for Discord members - freely given to first responders.

TIL: Tumbler is not a social network website.

I can't tell whats in that image, but everything looks like from high quality material and colours are very vibrat. I am guessing those Serious Ross shirts are applied using some sort fo a sticker/paint method that will not look as good once its out of the washing machine?!