Random Thoughts Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Post by RCBH928 »

I follow the believe that if someone created something he has the right for it forever. I think copyrighting things and trade marks should be the default for all things.

Ack wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:why does this forum does not accept emojis? submission fails if done so.

It does, but you may have the "Disable smilies" box selected when you post.

Its not working for me
marurun

Post by marurun »

RCBH928 wrote:I follow the believe that if someone created something he has the right for it forever. I think copyrighting things and trade marks should be the default for all things.

Why? This kind of view fails to recognize just how dependent creative expressions and new ideas are on expressions and ideas that came before. If we can’t freely riff on what others have created we are robbed of the essence of creativity and creation.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Plus at that point the companies go through extreme lengths, like the whole Metallica in Twitch thing. Not to mention that Nintendo even stops people from doing mods and fan art.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I have no problem if you are inspired by something or try to mimic it in a different way, just not reproduce it. For example the Snow White and Seven Drawfs is Disney's right. You are free to create your own version or be inspired by their art style.

Stopping people from creating fan art and mods when they have already paid for the product is a bit over, but then again, if something was yours don't you want to say who and who does not get to use it and how? The guys behind Mastodon, an open source Twitter alternative, had their source code taken by Gab.com and improved on. Gab.com is an alt-right website and deemed as white extremist. They have been blocked from the rest of the Mastodon community and I think the developers behind it wish Gab.com never got to use it in the first place. This is not to speak for others who use it for criminal activities ....

I really believe if I put my life time into something and worked hard on it I have the right to forever benefit from it.
marurun

Post by marurun »

What about all the people who work hard and labor at things that aren’t creative works? They don’t get forever rights to their labor.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I guess those are not making something new just reproducing something was there earlier, so they don't have creative rights over it. If you invent something or create something new you can get patent or copyrights on it by rule of law.
marurun

Post by marurun »

But why should so-called creative endeavors have forever rights and “ordinary” labors have nothing at all?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

RCBH928 wrote:I guess those are not making something new just reproducing something was there earlier, so they don't have creative rights over it. If you invent something or create something new you can get patent or copyrights on it by rule of law.

But not forever. The original copyright period in the US was a max of 28 years (14 + 14), and only this century was it increased to the lifetime of the author:

US copyright law traces its lineage back to the British Statute of Anne, which influenced the first US federal copyright law, the Copyright Act of 1790. The length of copyright established by the Founding Fathers was short, 14 years, plus the ability to renew it one time, for 14 more. 40 years later, the initial term was changed to 28 years. It was not until a full 180 years after its establishment that it was significantly extended beyond that, in Copyright Act of 1976 to "Either 75 years or the life of the author plus 50 years" and the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998 (also called the "Mickey Mouse Protection Act", because it prevented the copyright from expiring on the first commercial success of the cartoon character Mickey Mouse), which increased it even more, to 120 years, or the life of the author plus 70 years.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

marurun wrote:But why should so-called creative endeavors have forever rights and “ordinary” labors have nothing at all?

They kind of do, they just sell it. Like making a table and selling it, or building a house and selling it. Creatives do the same, some write movie script and sell the rights to it.

@o.pwuaioc

I personally think it should be kept forever until no one claims the rights to it like The Art of War by Sun Tzu. Personally if I invented something I would like to reap its rewards and my children after me.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for people to create movies, videogames, and books and I just download them free off the net but I still think its their right to do whatever they want with their own creation. Things get grey when people need something and the "inventor" refuse to reproduce it or sell it for unreasonable price say like a cancer cure if any one ever finds that one out.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

I have someone sending me a copy of Cherie (self titled, release under Bape Sounds label) which is completely unavailable online for download/streaming. Very excited to be the first person to rip it and share it with people online.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread