Random Thoughts Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ack

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Post by Ack »

What's your height, Samurai? I remember in high school being 6'0 and 135lbs., so pretty much nothing.
Ack

Post by Ack »

PretentiousHipster wrote:Was looking at 10 year old posts on a film forum I go on and I'm remembering the days when we found out about Amos Vogel's book, learned about Viennese Actionism and watched those shorts. I always wanted to tell gore fans to look up those shorts because they are by far the most disturbing things I've seen, and at least they can be commentary on stuff aside from the edgelord dick swinging contests of low budget pseudo-snuff films.

There's a YouTube video of a horror fan watching stuff from one of the artists of that movement and seeing his reaction to it was one of the most entertaining things I've ever seen. He does end up puking though so a warning for anyone who doesn't like seeing people puke.

https://youtu.be/smdA2OLZSuc

I finally watched some of these works as well as a few brief documentaries from a couple of museums examining the more permanent pieces and paintings. They are definitely raw and brutal, but at the same time there's an amazing level of unsettling craftsmanship in the work. It's like if GG Allen had been really into Hellraiser.

It's not the kind of performance art I'd make, but all credit to them and their need to violently rebel in the most extreme artistic ways.
marurun

Post by marurun »

The problem with smoking (of anything) is what it will do to your lungs, trachea, and mouth. Be wary of that.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Well, recreational marijuana is apparently legal now in NY. I'm sure those "edibles" will also be available, then you can skip the nasty smoking part.

I was a (cigarette) smoker for many years, and now as a nonsmoker I can't believe how awful it really is. Someone got me this "hemp flower" stuff that has the THC removed so you're just suppose to smoke it for the CBD benefit. But I found it to be too harsh on my throat, even as a former smoker!
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Ack wrote:
PretentiousHipster wrote:Was looking at 10 year old posts on a film forum I go on and I'm remembering the days when we found out about Amos Vogel's book, learned about Viennese Actionism and watched those shorts. I always wanted to tell gore fans to look up those shorts because they are by far the most disturbing things I've seen, and at least they can be commentary on stuff aside from the edgelord dick swinging contests of low budget pseudo-snuff films.

There's a YouTube video of a horror fan watching stuff from one of the artists of that movement and seeing his reaction to it was one of the most entertaining things I've ever seen. He does end up puking though so a warning for anyone who doesn't like seeing people puke.

https://youtu.be/smdA2OLZSuc

I finally watched some of these works as well as a few brief documentaries from a couple of museums examining the more permanent pieces and paintings. They are definitely raw and brutal, but at the same time there's an amazing level of unsettling craftsmanship in the work. It's like if GG Allen had been really into Hellraiser.

It's not the kind of performance art I'd make, but all credit to them and their need to violently rebel in the most extreme artistic ways.

Hermann Nitsch is probably my favourite of the bunch. His music is fantastic as well, but it's pretty much the audio version of his performance art.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

Ack wrote:What's your height, Samurai? I remember in high school being 6'0 and 135lbs., so pretty much nothing.

I'm like 5'8-9, I've been a few pounds underweight basically my entire life, tbh.
marurun wrote:The problem with smoking (of anything) is what it will do to your lungs, trachea, and mouth. Be wary of that.

I manage a vape shop, trust me I know all about it lol. Honestly I have the self awareness to know that if I didn't vape I'd be a smoker, and considering the alcholism that runs in my family I kinda always tended towards smoking weed instead. Saw it as a lesser of the two evils. Now I barely ever drink, and if I do it's only a beer or two, so I guess it did kinda work. I'd rather have to quit a weed habit than a drinking one any day of the week.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Ziggy587 wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:If its worth anything, I hear Alen Carr Easy Way To Stop Smoking helped a lot of people. There is an audio version.

That book is to stop smoking cigarettes, not marijuana. It would not help you to stop smoking marijuana. That said, I was over a pack a day (cigarette) smoker and that is the book that got me to stop. I wouldn't have been able to quit smoking without it. This summer will be 4 years for me since I quit. I have two friends that quit more recently from reading that book. I highly recommend it to any smoker.

it is, but people have been reporting that it helps with other forms of addiction too like alcoholism.

They say the author used to smoke 100 cigarettes a day, near 5 packs, which I find impossible to believe. Thats a walking chimney.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

RCBH928 wrote:it is, but people have been reporting that it helps with other forms of addiction too like alcoholism.

They say the author used to smoke 100 cigarettes a day, near 5 packs, which I find impossible to believe. Thats a walking chimney.

The author, Alen Carr, has adapted the logic and written other "stop" books with it, but you can't expect to use the books interchangeably.

And yep, Alen Carr talked about in his book how he use to smoke about 5 packs a day. That might seem impossible to a nonsmoker, but I assure you it's not.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

I took chantix to quit, took a couple tries with it but took the craving away eventually and if I lit up, tasted like crap (but not weed?). Pretty cool you able to quit with a book.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

My workplace might make the news because they did something illegal and I reported it lol. Won't go into details yet, but there are news articles of the same thing happening so it's not far fetched to say that it will this time too.