Official Racketboy Suggestion Forum Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Re: Official Racketboy Suggestion Forum Thread

Post by marurun »

My personal opinion is that we shouldn't do a charity unless there is a community reason to do so. Which is not to say that we shouldn't all be charitable in our lives, but now that our community is a little less active in some ways, there are fewer instances of tragedy that touch directly on the community that compel our support. In recent years it has also tended to come together at the last minute, meaning it becomes kind of a mess to sort out. I think if a community charity auction/drive is going to work, we need to have a viable individual or cause identified much earlier in the fall.

Despite the rough patches in recent years, I am grateful to those who have stepped up to organize and participate, especially Anapan. But I think maybe we should take a year off and reflect on how we really want this kind of thing to look and operate when and if we attempt to do it next year.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I think that sounds good personally. From a different perspective, give people more of a chance to build up reserves of items to post for auction :)
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

marurun wrote:Despite the rough patches in recent years, I am grateful to those who have stepped up to organize and participate, especially Anapan. But I think maybe we should take a year off and reflect on how we really want this kind of thing to look and operate when and if we attempt to do it next year.

+1

A lot of the years, I feel like we started way too late. I always felt that we should start prepping way earlier in the year.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

The mobile version of the forum is missing a jump to last post button that the desktop site has. It's rather annoying. Any chance on adding it? Unless it already exists and I'm just missing it.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Ziggy587 wrote:The mobile version of the forum is missing a jump to last post button that the desktop site has. It's rather annoying. Any chance on adding it? Unless it already exists and I'm just missing it.

You can do this in the mobile version... Sort of. You can jump to the first unread post in a thread by touching the little page icon underneath the thread title. It doesn't send you to the last post but it does send you to the first unread.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

That icon is only there if there are any unread posts. But take this thread for example. I had no unread posts in this thread, so my only option was to start at page 1.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

So I thought of this because Ack posted a thread to coincide with a new article on the front page...

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=53043

And it made me think... Why don't we create a new thread EVERY time a new article is posted on the front page? I know there's the comments section below the article, but the actual forum is much more robust. It would allow for a nice discussion for each article. Not to mention, alert forum regulars that a new article was posted. I'm guilty of hoping straight to the forums, and only checking the front page periodically. I know others have admitted they do this too.

On this same topic, it also made me think, "Why doesn't Racketboy have an email subscription to alert people that new articles were posted?" And then I checked... Oh yeah, it does exist, but it's kind of out of site. It's alllll the way at the bottom of the page, and then it's really small and only an envelope icon. I would suggest advertising a little harder that this option exists. I could see if you disagree putting it on the top of page. But perhaps on the top or bottom of each article? Like, "Click here to subscribe for email alerts so you can be notified every time a new article is published!"
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I want user-submitted pictures on the racketboy.com main page. Rules will need to be made etc, but I just want to submit the same picture without the dithering.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Ziggy587 wrote:On this same topic, it also made me think, "Why doesn't Racketboy have an email subscription to alert people that new articles were posted?" And then I checked... Oh yeah, it does exist, but it's kind of out of site. It's alllll the way at the bottom of the page, and then it's really small and only an envelope icon. I would suggest advertising a little harder that this option exists. I could see if you disagree putting it on the top of page. But perhaps on the top or bottom of each article? Like, "Click here to subscribe for email alerts so you can be notified every time a new article is published!"

So I believed there is a pop up for email subscriptions, but you can X it out. I guess I dismissed it long ago and it never came back, and so I forgot about it!
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Ziggy587 wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:On this same topic, it also made me think, "Why doesn't Racketboy have an email subscription to alert people that new articles were posted?" And then I checked... Oh yeah, it does exist, but it's kind of out of site. It's alllll the way at the bottom of the page, and then it's really small and only an envelope icon. I would suggest advertising a little harder that this option exists. I could see if you disagree putting it on the top of page. But perhaps on the top or bottom of each article? Like, "Click here to subscribe for email alerts so you can be notified every time a new article is published!"

So I believed there is a pop up for email subscriptions, but you can X it out. I guess I dismissed it long ago and it never came back, and so I forgot about it!

I suppose I should make a way to access it in case you X it out.

And BTW, I was doing forum threads for new posts, a while back, but nobody seemed to care :(