Random Thoughts Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Michi wrote:Hopefully you can give it back to the owners.

Done! They ended up living three miles away lol.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I've been using Mozilla Thunderbird on my home desktop for a long time now. For almost as long as I've been using it, I've been using an add-on that minimizes it to the system tray. It would minimizes to the system tray even if you hit the X, so that's what I got in the habit of doing. Now, an update was just released that makes the add-on incompatible. So I keep exiting out of Thunderbird when I only mean to minimize it. Very annoying.

I'm hoping the add-on will be updated, but even if it isn't, I've been thinking about getting Office365. 10 years ago was a different story, and I couldn't justify getting MS Office at home for the price. But using MS Office at work every day, when I go home and try to use LibreOffice or OpenOffice I have no clue how to do anything. You can get a 1-user copy of Office365 for like $60 off Amazon. I'm starting to think that $60 for the year really isn't bad. I mean, that's only $5 a month! At this point, it's hard to justify NOT getting it.

I hate subscription based stuff, but this seems cheap enough that it wouldn't bother me. I mean, I can't use my copy of Office XP for the same reason I can't use LibreOffice (aside from the fact that it no longer receives updates so it's a security risk). The more I think about it, the more I think I should just get it.

So if I do get Office365 at home, I guess I'll use Outlook over Thunderbird. The only thing is, I look at Outlook all day at work. Hopefully if I see it at home it wont put me in a bad mood lol.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

May want to ask at work if they have any sort of home licensing, such as the Home Use Program, or if they already have Office 365 for employees.

The upside to 365 is that they do roll in new features on a routine basis, where the machine license doesn't tend to get them.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

isiolia wrote:May want to ask at work if they have any sort of home licensing, such as the Home Use Program, or if they already have Office 365 for employees.

I'd recommend checking into this as well. I just installed Office 2019 on my main computer through my company's home use agreement with Microsoft. In our case it's not free, but it's only like $16 or so. The only catch for us is that the program is limited to one license per version of Office and that license is for a single machine. If you have multiple home computers (like a desktop and a laptop for instance) you need to put some thought into which computer would be best suited for Office usage.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yeah, Amazon has a 5-users copy of Office365 and it's only around $80. That makes it $16 per device.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

How long do AAA batteries usually last you guys? I sometimes have trouble when I'm plugging USB devices in and out... but I think maybe it's just the batteries in my wireless keyboard. Just went through my Amazon orders and couldn't find it, so I'm guessing I bought it at a store and it came with some GP batteries. Not sure how long that's been...

Going to run up to the store and grab some batteries, hopefully that's the issue and it's not a USB thing. Might just be an eerie coincidence, my keyboard was acting up when I put in a new external drive and started moving some files around.

EDIT: So far so good... think it was the batteries. :roll: :lol:
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Xeogred wrote:How long do AAA batteries usually last you guys?

Depends what they're in. If it's a PS3 remote, not long.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

this... is definitely random. I'm gonna be out of town soon, and I know there's all these apps that can find you (clean) public restrooms easily. Has anyone used one they'd recommend. Google Play Store reviews are all over the place.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

lol that's really a thing? George Costanza's dream has become a reality.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I'm not sure if this is noise being afraid he won't be able to find a bathroom in general, or if he's worried about his hypochondria impacting his next vacation.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.