Beat 'em up / action-RPG hybrids..... Name 'em!

Level up here
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Beat 'em up / action-RPG hybrids..... Name 'em!

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I really love this style of game. Trying to find some I haven't played - but Google/GameFAQs searching is tricky as these games are generally listed in one category or the other. Here's a brief list of the "obvious" ones, most of which I have played. Any other notable ones? Wanna discuss these games further? Let's get rollin' fam.

The King of Dragons

Knights of the Round

Gate of Doom
Wizard Fire

Dragon Valor

Dungeon Magic

Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom
Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara

Guardian Heroes
Advance Guardian Heroes

Princess Crown
Odin Sphere
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Dragon's Crown

Code of Princess
MrPopo

Re: Beat 'em up / action-RPG hybrids..... Name 'em!

Post by MrPopo »

The Dungeons & Dragons games are super borderline on their RPG elements. Your experience level means nothing as it comes at fixed points in the game, so the game is presumably balanced around it. You do have the random drops which can be money for attacking items between stages or spells, and the spells are more interesting than your standard beat 'em up pickups or even the magic in Golden Axe. And the second game also has equipment that randomly drops. I'd say they utterly miss the stat aspect of RPGs but the extensive item and magic system puts them far above a standard beat 'em up.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Possibly outside of the scope of what you're looking for, but Jade Empire is basically the Bioware RPG structure grafted onto a 3D beat 'em up.

Otherwise, hm, Dungeon Fighter Online?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

MrPopo wrote:The Dungeons & Dragons games are super borderline on their RPG elements. Your experience level means nothing as it comes at fixed points in the game, so the game is presumably balanced around it. You do have the random drops which can be money for attacking items between stages or spells, and the spells are more interesting than your standard beat 'em up pickups or even the magic in Golden Axe. And the second game also has equipment that randomly drops. I'd say they utterly miss the stat aspect of RPGs but the extensive item and magic system puts them far above a standard beat 'em up.

I grabbed these off the Capcom Steam sale recently, they look pretty cool.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

River City Ransom. It's a beat em up with stats. You grind for money to buy items to increase said stats and unlock new attacks. Also the world is open to you at the start and has humorous dialogue peppered in.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Xeogred wrote:
MrPopo wrote:The Dungeons & Dragons games are super borderline on their RPG elements. Your experience level means nothing as it comes at fixed points in the game, so the game is presumably balanced around it. You do have the random drops which can be money for attacking items between stages or spells, and the spells are more interesting than your standard beat 'em up pickups or even the magic in Golden Axe. And the second game also has equipment that randomly drops. I'd say they utterly miss the stat aspect of RPGs but the extensive item and magic system puts them far above a standard beat 'em up.

I grabbed these off the Capcom Steam sale recently, they look pretty cool.

Oh, they're very cool. The most involved traditional beat 'em up you'll ever play.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

What about the Scott Pilgrim game? That has River City Ransom-ish elements, yes? Does that count as RPG enough?
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Yeeeaaah I should clarify that I do indeed mean retro (or "modern retro") 2D stuff.

My hatred of Scott Pilgrim the movie is so strong that I doubt I could ever stomach the game.

I knew there was an old ass one I was forgetting: River City Ransom. Never cared for Technōs stuff much, but I could probably give it another shot.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I'm not even sure how easy the Scott Pilgrim game is to come by nowadays, I think it got removed on some digital stores for some reason.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Some people hate them but the Dragon Ball Z Legacy of Goku games on the GBA are decent RPGish brawlers.