Complete GBA RPG List

Level up here
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Complete GBA RPG List

Post by Exhuminator »

alienjesus wrote:I certainly don't think that just having a level up system defines something as being an RPG though. To me that definition is way too broad and includes too many games that play very differently from each other.

Oh sure, but for example Castlevanias on GBA & DS also have inventory systems, changeable equipment, NPCs to converse with, unlinear worlds to explore, and whatever other genre staples I'm forgetting at the moment.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Daria
24-bit

Post by Daria »

Dragon Ball Z: Legacy of Goku - Action RPG
Dragon Ball Z: Legacy of Goku II - Action RPG
Dragon Ball Z: Legacy of Goku III: Buu's Fury - Action RPG
Boktai - Action RPG
Boktai 2 - Action RPG
The Legend of Zelda (NES classics) - Action RPG (or Adventure whatever you had Minish cap and Four swords already)
The Adventure of Link (NES Classics) - Action RPG

edit: I wouldn't include Advance Guardian Heroes personally. It's pretty much just a remake of the Genesis game - unless they altered the gameplay significantly the series is action/platform/beat em up with shooter elements. But not an RPG. - I be stupid.

You might want to consider Mario Golf and Mario Tennis. They're sports games with heavy RPG elelments. Sort of like how Yu-Gi-Oh is a card game with RPG exploration and story exposition.
Last edited by Daria on Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my YouTube Channel DariaPlays for super nerdy video reviews on classic RPGs and Adventure titles. Bonus: I don't suck! Pinky-swear.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Daria wrote:Advance Guardian Heroes personally. It's pretty much just a remake of the Genesis game

You're thinking of Gunstar Heroes.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Daria
24-bit

Post by Daria »

Exhuminator wrote:
Daria wrote:Advance Guardian Heroes personally. It's pretty much just a remake of the Genesis game

I am! Blah. Nevermind Guardian Heroes was the saturn RPG-Beat em up. Yeah that fits. Borderline, but I can see the argument for it.
Check out my YouTube Channel DariaPlays for super nerdy video reviews on classic RPGs and Adventure titles. Bonus: I don't suck! Pinky-swear.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Daria wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:

I am! Blah. Nevermind Guardian Heroes was the saturn RPG-Beat em up. Yeah that fits. Borderline, but I can see the argument for it.

Well I kinda doubted the fit but:

Throughout the game, defeated enemies will drop crystals of varying sizes and colour, that act as the experience points. Between stages, players can allocate these crystals towards one or more of their character's attributes: Vitality, Mind, Attack, Defence, Magical Attack, Magical Defence, and Mobility. At certain points, you will have to fight the heroes of the previous game, and upon defeating them, they will give you their souls, which will increase one of your attributes by 10. Increasing an attribute with soul crystals will raise the character's level, no matter how high that attribute was to begin with. The higher the character's level, the more soul crystals will be needed to reach the next level, so players have to allocate their points carefully. Anything left over after allocation, can be donated towards unlocking further playable characters.

Still, when I did own the game I thought it was a horrid beat 'em up. I think I put it on all three difficulties but it didn't seem to make a difference and beat it within a day or two....of course I could be thinking of something else, but I still don't recall it being a decent game. Though definitely not a rpg in the sense I usually think of...
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
Daria
24-bit

Post by Daria »

darsparx wrote:
Daria wrote:

Well I kinda doubted the fit but:

Throughout the game, defeated enemies will drop crystals of varying sizes and colour, that act as the experience points. Between stages, players can allocate these crystals towards one or more of their character's attributes: Vitality, Mind, Attack, Defence, Magical Attack, Magical Defence, and Mobility. At certain points, you will have to fight the heroes of the previous game, and upon defeating them, they will give you their souls, which will increase one of your attributes by 10. Increasing an attribute with soul crystals will raise the character's level, no matter how high that attribute was to begin with. The higher the character's level, the more soul crystals will be needed to reach the next level, so players have to allocate their points carefully. Anything left over after allocation, can be donated towards unlocking further playable characters.

Still, when I did own the game I thought it was a horrid beat 'em up. I think I put it on all three difficulties but it didn't seem to make a difference and beat it within a day or two....of course I could be thinking of something else, but I still don't recall it being a decent game. Though definitely not a rpg in the sense I usually think of...

I have the saturn version, but I don't personally include it in my RPG collection.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Saturn and this are two different beasts from what I've seen...this is more of a spiritual sequel from what i recall
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

eggman
24-bit

Post by eggman »

Updated
Need Hexyz Force and Class of Heroes 2 for a complete PSP RPG Set.....let me know your price!!!!
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Still don't think zelda is a rpg though no matter the release. You don't gain experience or anything of the sort. It's a action adventure at best with every game...
My gameroom