BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: How do you decide what to play?

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I play what Ack tells me to.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

But then you complain that 1995 is too modern.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I play what Ack tells me to.

As you should, for this is the way to game nirvana.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Heh, it looks like I will need to mod Planescape: Torment to get it to run well on a widescreen monitor. And at this point, stuff like Morrowind have been modded heavily to fix a variety of problems with the game. It's been so long since I played it, I might need to consider exploring these just to see how much the game has been changed or improved upon.

I also sat down and gave Ultima Underworld a spin. After dealing with some resolution issues and shutting off the music, I might be able to give this one a go, but it will take some getting used to. X instead of S for backing up is killing me!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Yeah, all the Looking Glass Stuff has weird controls for their first person games because the conventions hadn't been solidified yet. System Shock uses a 4x3 block of keys at the left of the keyboard to control moving, moving fast, turning, strafing, leaning, backing up, and the three heights your character can be at.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

MrPopo wrote:Yeah, all the Looking Glass Stuff has weird controls for their first person games because the conventions hadn't been solidified yet. System Shock uses a 4x3 block of keys at the left of the keyboard to control moving, moving fast, turning, strafing, leaning, backing up, and the three heights your character can be at.

That's probably why I have I haven't played SS, yet, as a mostly console gamer.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

JoeAwesome wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Yeah, all the Looking Glass Stuff has weird controls for their first person games because the conventions hadn't been solidified yet. System Shock uses a 4x3 block of keys at the left of the keyboard to control moving, moving fast, turning, strafing, leaning, backing up, and the three heights your character can be at.

That's probably why I have I haven't played SS, yet, as a mostly console gamer.

The SS community modded in a really good mouselook mode that I believe was adapted to Nightdive's rerelease. That ends up giving you standard WASD for movement and you toggle in and out of mouselook mode vs interaction mode with the E key (so not too dissimilar from how SS2 worked when you brought up your inventory overlay).
Ack

Post by Ack »

Yeah, unfortunately I don't believe anything of the sort has been done with Ultima Underworld. I suppose if I just try to stick with it a while, I'll get the hang of it eventually. It's just going to be a conscious thing for the entirety of my game experience.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I'm the biggest casual here and I had no problem beating SS or UU with their default control layouts. You guys are being silly.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Nah, the problem is that it's going against nearly 20 years of WASD being ingrained(and repeatedly reinforced) in my brain. It's tough programming to break.