What Sega Genesis/MegaDrive RPG do you recommend?

Level up here
J T
Next-Gen

What Sega Genesis/MegaDrive RPG do you recommend?

Post by J T »

Confession: I have never played a Sega RPG. I was a Nintendo kid growing up and never got into Sega. I've gotten the urge to retro-up and play through one to see what I missed out on. RPGs are always a time investment, so I don't play them too often. Which is the game to go for?

I have everything in this collection, but I can always find another way to play if there is a better title outside of that scope.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: What Sega Genesis/MegaDrive RPG do you recommend?

Post by dsheinem »

Depends on kind of RPG you want. That collection is pretty lacking in a lot of the best known RPGs for the system, but I'd recommend Shining Force and Light Crusader from that set of titles.

Past that, Phantasy Star II, III, and IV all have their fans. I like Beyond Oasis (need to finish it some day).

of course there's this guide, too: http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega-gen ... drive-rpgs
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I'd say in terms of traditional RPG Phantasy Star IV is the best on the system. If you start with it you'll miss out on some "previously in this series" nods but nothing too big. Phantasy Star II is very rough (I'd argue the first one on the Master System is easier to play through) and Phantasy Star III doesn't exist.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Maybe I should pick up this collection of genesis RPGs:

http://www.dotemu.com/en/download-game/ ... rpg-bundle

It's got redundant titles, but it would add in the Phantasy Stars and Beyond Oasis to my collection.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Exile is my personal favorite, though it's a short-ish side-scrolling action-RPG much like Ys III. Not sure if that's what you had in mind. On that topic, Ys III is also quite good, though I find that many folks will disagree with that statement. Cadash is another great side-scrolling action-RPG, though it's incredibly short (an arcade port) and the TG16 version is much better.

All three Shining games are good. Shining in the Darkness is a first-person dungeon crawler while Shining Force I and II are strategy RPGs. If I had to recommend one from the trio I'd say Shining Force II.

Likewise, all three Phantasy Star games are great. Even the much-maligned part III. II and III are both a bit (okay, more than a bit) slow and clunky while IV is easily the best of the bunch (would it be obnoxious to say it's as good as an SNES RPG?). However, if you've never played a Phantasy Star game I'd really recommend going back to the original on the SMS.

There are a couple of top-down Zelda-ish games too. Beyond Oasis is very well done and has a great setting and characters. Crusader of Centy is more of a mixed bag. Some fun parts, but it can be slow and confusing - not to mention expensive as hell.

Lastly, I have a soft spot for Super Hydlide. But, ya know, it's a Hydlide game.

There are a few others I haven't played, like the WRPGs.

tl;dr I'd start with Phantasy Star.... on Sega Master System. :lol:
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

J T wrote:Maybe I should pick up this collection of genesis RPGs:

http://www.dotemu.com/en/download-game/ ... rpg-bundle

It's got redundant titles, but it would add in the Phantasy Stars and Beyond Oasis to my collection.

I usually LOVE game collections.
But for some reason, I have only had motivation to play through RPG's on the actual system (not re-release collections)...must be a commitment thing. My PSP copy of Sega Genesis Collection has gotten very little attention in that category.
Not that I play actual UMDs anymore, what with the convenience of transferring them to memory card and emulation besides. I still wish a volume 2 would have emerged though.

In any case, if you only play one Phantasy Star (or Genesis RPG for that matter), make it PSIV. That was the 1st one I played and I have no regrets.
I enjoyed PSII just fine at a later date (and with the official guide :P ).

Also, Beyond Oasis is pretty sweet and easier to get into. But I like pretty much any ARPG on that system.
...just another lost soul...
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Another shout out for beyond oasis. Kinda like alundra but less puzzles, if you've played that.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

stickem wrote:Another shout out for beyond oasis. Kinda like alundra but less puzzles, if you've played that.

Landstalker is even more like Alundra than BO, from what I hear (same developers).
I had to look up an FAQ to beat that one (10 years or so ago).
I really need to play Alundra someday.
...just another lost soul...
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

nightrnr wrote:
stickem wrote:Another shout out for beyond oasis. Kinda like alundra but less puzzles, if you've played that.

Landstalker is even more like Alundra than BO, from what I hear (same developers).
I had to look up an FAQ to beat that one (10 years or so ago).
I really need to play Alundra someday.

Don't feel bad, i had to buy the book. It had some some nasty puzzles which i suck at anyway.

edit: misread, thought you meant looking up a faq for alundra, my bad
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Beyond Oasis.

Go. Seriously.

Already been mentioned, but what the hey.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.