Together RPG - Lunar: The Silver Star - 11/11 --> 1/31

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Our next game is Lunar: The Silver Star. Available on:

Sega CD
Saturn
PlayStation
Game Boy Advance
PSP

Lunar is a humorous, charming, and straightforward JRPG known for its dynamic characters and beautiful anime cutscenes. It was originally released on the Sega CD in 1993 (1992 in Japan), where it was notable for being one of the earliest games localized by the great Working Designs.

Since its inception Lunar has had several ports/remakes. Two slightly different remakes ended up on the Sega Saturn. The first, Lunar: Silver Star Story, is an enhanced port of the original game with improved graphics and some storyline alterations. A "Complete" version was also released on the Saturn one year later. It features some expanded cutscenes and requires a Saturn MPEG card. Both Saturn versions remained in Japan.

The Complete version was later ported to the PlayStation, and was eventually released in America once again by Working Designs. This was one of Working Designs' most impressive game packages, as it came with a cloth map, hardcover instruction manual / artbook, soundtrack, and "Making Of" disc.

Several years later handheld versions of Lunar emerged. A GBA port, localized by Ubisoft, was released in 2002. It lacks the cutscenes and voice acting that made the original(s) so noteworthy, but features some gorgeous anime stills and lacks any load times whatsoever. Another handheld variation - Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, localized by XSEED - was released in 2010. Silver Star Harmony features redrawn isometric graphics and some additional story elements.

And for those wishing to go purely digital there is a tappy touchy iOS version.

Lunar was successful enough to warrant the release of one official sequel, as well as three spin-off titles.

Hoping to get many of you fine folks joining us this month.
Last edited by BoneSnapDeez on Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Re: Together RPG - Lunar: The Silver Star - 11/11 --> 1/11

Post by ninjainspandex »

hmm the question is do I play the Sega CD or PS1 version, I've beaten the PSP version but man was that version incredibly easy. Never knew there was a GBA port, I thought it was a side story thing like the GBC one.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

There is no GBC game..... You thinking of Game Gear?

PS1 is probably the best in my opinion.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:There is no GBC game..... You thinking of Game Gear?

was it game gear? I know it was Japan only, forget the name. I think Blue Sphere?
wclem
Next-Gen

Post by wclem »

I might have to give it a go with you guys. Started it at least three time and just never finish it LOL.
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

ninjainspandex wrote:

was it game gear? I know it was Japan only, forget the name. I think Blue Sphere?

Oh haha you're thinking of Star Ocean. I had a suspicion you may have been thinking of Star Ocean or Tales of Phantasia. Both of those have GBC spin-offs.

The other Lunar games are:
Lunar 2 on Sega CD, Saturn, PlayStation
Lunar: Walking School on Game Gear
Magic School Lunar! on Saturn
Lunar: Dragon Song on DS
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I just started Eternal Blue last week. I will probably be playing that and can join in the discussion. Is that cool? If not I'm sure I could restart the SCD version. I dislike the PS remakes.

Also if you search the main site for the Lunar TR post, there is a link to a scan of the original SCD strategy guide. If only I could find the one for Eternal Blue...
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

Post by TheSSNintendo »

Beat the PS1 version quite a few times, and once each for the GBA and PSP. Think I'll sit back and read your all's progress.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

ninjainspandex wrote:

Ooops :oops: I guess I got Eternal Blue Confused with Blue Sphere
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Both the Lunar games always felt like they had a promising concept behind them but a mediocre execution of their battle system. I've beaten both of them but I don't have any inclination to play them again. But it'll be fun to see how you guys experience it.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.