The Witcher 3 comes out next year. This series any good?

Level up here
Opa Opa

The Witcher 3 comes out next year. This series any good?

Post by Opa Opa »

I was browsing upcoming games and saw this huge CE:
image.jpg
image.jpg (91.7 KiB) Viewed 3321 times

Now that's a lot of stuff. I don't know anything about the Witcher games. The gameplay trailer I watched shown this dude hunting a griffon. Looks kind of fun but I've never played the series and there are quite a few third-person, fantasy action titles I haven't had a chance to tackle yet.

So is the Witcher 3 worth keeping an eye out for or should I not worry with it?
Thanks for any info.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: The Witcher 3 comes out next year. This series any good?

Post by Xeogred »

I'm pretty interested in this one. I have yet to play any of them myself, but from what I've heard they recap each other really well. My friends and others seem to suggest it's an actual case where it's not a huge deal to skip the first, so maybe this one will be easy to jump into stand alone as well.

Sounds bigger than Skyrim, but I imagine the writing will be better. One of my friends said the choices in 2 were really good and dramatically changed things, that's always cool when it works well.

So yeah... guess I can't say much, but I heard a lot of great things about 2 and people seem stoked for this one.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

The Witcher series is not good, it's incredible. 8)
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

J T wrote:The Witcher series is not good, it's incredible. 8)

Care to elaborate on what makes it incredible? What other games would you compare it to?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Xeogred wrote:Sounds bigger than Skyrim

I dunno about that... But The Witcher games are about 100 times more focused with way better writing. They're based on a Polish fantasy book series.

Parts 1 & 2 are really, really good. Fascinating characters, dark atmosphere, deep combat systems, lots of choices with a significant impact on the way the plot unfolds... Really great series. Hard to think of what to compare these games too... They're not as dense as the classic D&D RPGs and they're also far removed (and better) than the "AAA" Bioware/Bethesda games.

The developer CD Project RED is pretty badass. They're staunchly anti-DRM, own GOG, and let you do cool shit like download an additional backup copy of The Witcher if you already own the physical game.

I'll have to sit out part 3 unfortunately, at least for now - as I don't have a system that will run it.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

I love The Witcher series to death.

You can easily skip the first. The second one recaps it fairly well.

In terms of western fantasy action RPGs 2 is really hard to beat in my opinion. Some people seem to hate the combat for whatever reason but I love it. Everything about it is just top notch. Graphics, sound and music, gameplay, writing.

I'm super pumped for the 3rd game. However, unlike 1 and 2 there are no plans for a Mac version (that I know of) which is kind of a bummer since I'm using a Mac again and my SSD doesn't have enough space to hold Windows + the game at the moment. Might end up with the Xbox One version.

Speaking of which, if you don't have a capable PC the 360 version of TW2 is about the best you could ever hope for on the aging hardware. Easily one of the best looking and playing games on the system.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Opa Opa wrote:

Care to elaborate on what makes it incredible? What other games would you compare it to?

I agree with Bone and Ryan, but I'll also add an example of why the choices you make in the Witcher games are so interesting by linking you to a prior post I made on the topic:

viewtopic.php?p=758977#p758977
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

J T wrote:
Opa Opa wrote:

I agree with Bone and Ryan, but I'll also add an example of why the choices you make in the Witcher games are so interesting by linking you to a prior post I made on the topic:

viewtopic.php?p=758977#p758977

Ahhh, I love that kind of stuff when it comes to choices. That's a huge reason why I like Obsidian stuff (KOTORII) more than Bioware or whatever. It's not all black and white.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

Thanks for the info, guys.
-

I didn't realize it at the time of making the first post but the Xbox One CE gets the cloth map and some cards as exclusive content. A little searching revealed that some people didn't quite appreciate the X1 getting any sort of exclusive anything. :lol:

I guess people will get mad at anything. Getting upset over not getting a cloth map you'll look at once and cards you'll never use sure is worth saying nasty things towards the developers. :roll:
Ack

Post by Ack »

Opa Opa wrote:I guess people will get mad at anything. Getting upset over not getting a cloth map you'll look at once and cards you'll never use sure is worth saying nasty things towards the developers. :roll:

I wouldn't say that. If I had a cloth map, I'd likely be studying it, plotting where I want to go well in advance. For instance, I had a map with Morrowind, and I used it to plan from the start which cities I wanted to go to, main quest line be damned! Oblivion was a similar case. I really enjoy maps for large, open-world environments, because I can study them and see where I want to explore while doing something totally different in the game or not playing at all.