Level up here
User avatar
adosmond
24-bit
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:50 pm
Location: CA

Re: What should I play next?

by adosmond Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:26 pm

Opa Opa wrote:Tis a funny way to spell "Ys".


I was actually gonna research the Ys series next. I currently don't have any of the games and don't have any in the "to buy" list.

Any one in particular you recommend?


Ack wrote:Sure thing. Just definitely play them in order. I think it makes for a better experience with Chrono Cross to have played Chrono Trigger before it, particularly when stuff starts getting weird.


Good to know. I forget where, but I've read quite a few times that the order doesn't matter. But I'll take your word for it.
User avatar
TheSSNintendo
128-bit
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: What should I play next?

by TheSSNintendo Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:35 pm

Favoritism aside, I would suggest Final Fantasy IV.
User avatar
adosmond
24-bit
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:50 pm
Location: CA

Re: What should I play next?

by adosmond Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:37 pm

TheSSNintendo wrote:Favoritism aside, I would suggest Final Fantasy IV.


And favoritism not aside? :)
User avatar
Ack
Moderator
 
Posts: 21456
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: What should I play next?

by Ack Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:47 pm

adosmond wrote:
TheSSNintendo wrote:Favoritism aside, I would suggest Final Fantasy IV.


And favoritism not aside? :)


Final Fantasy VI
Image
Image
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
User avatar
Kkasino
24-bit
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 3:17 pm

Re: What should I play next?

by Kkasino Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:50 pm

TheSSNintendo wrote:Favoritism aside, I would suggest Final Fantasy IV.


Oh, that game is pretty average. It has great Amano's artwork and beautiful music, but the story/characters/world/battle system is so uninteresting and average.
Every other 16-bit FF is better than this one.
Sorry for my engrish :)
User avatar
TheSSNintendo
128-bit
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: What should I play next?

by TheSSNintendo Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:53 pm

Kkasino wrote:
TheSSNintendo wrote:Favoritism aside, I would suggest Final Fantasy IV.


Oh, that game is pretty average. It has great Amano's artwork and beautiful music, but the story/characters/world/battle system is so uninteresting and average.
Every other 16-bit FF is better than this one.


It's always been a favorite of mine. Probably the first RPG that I really got into.
User avatar
Kkasino
24-bit
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 3:17 pm

Re: What should I play next?

by Kkasino Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:08 pm

Well yes, if it was your first, i can see the appeal.
But i can't get thought the cliche story and press-attack-to-win battle system.
If they implemented job system of some sort, i would probably love it.

Maybe i should try the original Japanese SFC verison or the DS one for higher difficulty.
Sorry for my engrish :)
User avatar
Ack
Moderator
 
Posts: 21456
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: What should I play next?

by Ack Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:10 pm

Kkasino wrote:Well yes, if it was your first, i can see the appeal.
But i can't get thought the cliche story and press-attack-to-win battle system.
If they implemented job system of some sort, i would probably love it.

Maybe i should try the original Japanese SFC verison or the DS one for higher difficulty.


Admittedly though, it also came out in 1991. There was still a lot of fine-tuning going on with the genre, and this one is more notable for story presentation than any mechanics. I agree that the FF games after this one are generally better games, but IV is a nice piece of gaming history and a great step up in the transition between the 8-bit RPGs of the NES era to the 16-bit beauties that represent the best of the genre.
Image
Image
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
User avatar
adosmond
24-bit
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:50 pm
Location: CA

Re: What should I play next?

by adosmond Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:14 pm

TheSSNintendo wrote:Favoritism aside, I would suggest Final Fantasy IV. It's always been a favorite of mine. Probably the first RPG that I really got into.


Kkasino wrote:Oh, that game is pretty average. Every other 16-bit FF is better than this one.

But i can't get thought the cliche story and press-attack-to-win battle system.
If they implemented job system of some sort, i would probably love it.


Ack wrote:this one is more notable for story presentation than any mechanics. I agree that the FF games after this one are generally better games


Hmm.. I usually hear great things about IV, but have also heard that it was average. I remember reading an article that grouped IV and VII together because they were the "least unique" of the series. Might have to pass on IV - for now of course.

All things considered, my question is, V or VI?
User avatar
Kkasino
24-bit
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 3:17 pm

Re: What should I play next?

by Kkasino Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:20 pm

It probably worth the playthrought. I don't liked it but everybody else seems love it so you should make your own opinion.
I don't like the game much, but the music kickass!

And sorry for my terrible engrish, i hope my comments don't seem rude or something. :)
Sorry for my engrish :)
Return to RPG

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests