Japanese Mega Drive RPGs

Level up here
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Re: Japanese Mega Drive RPGs

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Once you do get around to SCD stuff, be sure to check out the SMT port. It looks to be the best port of the game, and it has no fan translation, so I'm unable to make it through. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

Also, pretty much entirely unrelated, but have you ever tried to play the Slayers rpg (Think its on the SNES)? I have a partial translated ROM that is a nightmare to get through without soft-locking, but with how much my girl loves the game, I'd be willing to push through if its of any notable quality.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Jmustang1968 wrote:You can also try Brave Battle Saga.

That's Taiwanese. :wink: It does look intriguing - though it seems like most of those non-Japanese Asian RPGs (even the ones that were eventually localized) are tough to find.

dunpeal2064 wrote:Once you do get around to SCD stuff, be sure to check out the SMT port. It looks to be the best port of the game, and it has no fan translation, so I'm unable to make it through. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

Also, pretty much entirely unrelated, but have you ever tried to play the Slayers rpg (Think its on the SNES)? I have a partial translated ROM that is a nightmare to get through without soft-locking, but with how much my girl loves the game, I'd be willing to push through if its of any notable quality.

Heh, I had no idea there was a Mega CD version of Shin Megami Tensei. Interesting...

As for the Slayers RPG, I have played it. It's okay - I'd recommend it for fans of the series but obviously it's not of the same caliber as Chrono Trigger or whatever. It's a fun little romp, much like the Ranma ½, Tenchi Muyo!, and Magic Knight Rayearth RPGs.
Tomba

Post by Tomba »

Are we talking about Japan only games or just JRPGs? I have played King Colossus. I didn't like it, it seemed a bit too primitive/dated to me. But I love the music. It has got some of the best genesis tunes. Sega did even release an arranged OST album, "Image from King Colossus - Sega Sound Orchestra".

These are not RPGs in the strictest sense, but may be associated with the genre:

Soleil/Crusader of Centy/Ragnacenty: (Action Adventure) Sega's answer to A Link To The Past, a great gem of an action adventure game. Had some nice story elements where it challenges the traditional concepts of similar video games, like whether monsters are evil or just misunderstood.

Wonder Boy in Monster World AKA Monster World III: (Action Adventure/Platformer hybrid with RPG elements) While still retaining some dated stuff (like how the character moves) from the Master System, the graphics look great, it's really colourful with some neat backgrounds and sprites. The music is good too in some places.

Monster World IV (Japan only, awesome fan-translation available): (Action Adventure/Platformer hybrid with RPG elements) Now this is the Monster World that truly brought the series to 16 bit level. It didn't have the dated mechanics of the former and it had beautiful sprites and (lotsa) animations. The enemies move about and have some cool animations (before attacking them, just wait and watch them in awe for a while :D ). This is one game all Genesis fans should own.. to show off the power of the Genesis to all SNES lovin' Genesis haters (why do people have to choose sides, one can always love both :P ). The only thing I didn't like about the game was how the music was so repetitive. The music isn't bad, mind you, it's really catchy... but the thing is, most of the tunes are just reworkings of the same theme.
Wanna say something? Just PM, don't mail me, I rarely check my email inbox. :)
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Blue Almanac is the Japanese version of what Super Fighter put out over here as Star Odyssey. It's not a great game, overall. Writeup in GameSpite Journal 12.