Together RPG - Ys III - 7/11 --> 9/11

Level up here
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Together RPG - Ys III - 7/11 --> 9/11

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I knocked out Garland in Ballacetine Castle, and I'm off to Galbalan's Island! The game is becoming challenging again, but I will probably polish it off tonight or tomorrow.

My son was watching me play the game over breakfast this morning, and he insisted that Garland, who looks like this:

was actually a two-year-old, just like him. :lol:
Frag Mortuus
Next-Gen

Post by Frag Mortuus »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I knocked out Garland in Ballacetine Castle, and I'm off to Galbalan's Island! The game is becoming challenging again, but I will probably polish it off tonight or tomorrow.

My son was watching me play the game over breakfast this morning, and he insisted that Garland, who looks like this:

was actually a two-year-old, just like him. :lol:

That's awesome. Kids are hilarious. My daughter who is 4, swears she is 18, and that she is excited to start pre-school in a couple weeks, lol.
noiseredux wrote:Frag Mortuus rules.

Sell/Trade/Want List
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Frag Mortuus wrote:That's awesome. Kids are hilarious. My daughter who is 4, swears she is 18, and that she is excited to start pre-school in a couple weeks, lol.

Cute! My daughter, who is five-going-on-fifteen, loved her pre-shool last year, and I hope your daughter has the same, very good, experience.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I completed Ys III: Wanderers from Ys last night. I had fun playing it, but I am not sure I can recommend it. The game had good graphics and great music, but the game play was painful. First, the hit detection was abysmal, and most of my deaths in the game resulted from me not realizing that I was touching an enemy (or from "bumping my head" while I was trying to hit Galbalan). Second, the combat mechanics were abysmal and vastly worse than other side-scrolling ARPGs from the period, such as Nintendo's Zelda II (or even Falcom's Faxanadu). Finally, the dungeons were incredibly linear, and the game did not encourage exploration or back-tracking in any way. (The "labyrinth" at the end of the game also relied on some very annoying design choices to make it more "challenging".) Accordingly, I thought that the game did not live up to its potential, and I cannot recommend it to anyone accustomed to modern game design. (I also spent some time with the Sega Genesis version of this game, and while I thought it was marginally better than the SNES port, I still do nto think I could recommend it.)

In any event, I am glad that I have played through it. I am trying to work my way through every game in the Ys series, and I am looking forward to the (hopefully better designed) reimagining, Oath in Felgana.

EDIT: Here is how I took down Galbalan, in case anyone is interested:

First, I started the fight with full health and full ring power. (Getting through the final dungeon unscathed is not that hard, and it is fairly easy to defeat Garland without taking a hit if you know his pattern.) I then jumped over the energy balls that Galbalan launched from his "lighting hands" and waited for him to drop so that I could slash at them. The timing here is pretty easy, but trying to jump and slash the hands is a waste of time. Once the hands were defeated, I memorized Galbalan's incredibly predictable pattern: three easily dodged fireballs followed by a lighting blast that runs along the floor or an attempt to "ram" Adol. If Galbalan performed the lightning attack, I jumped toward Galbalan and over the bolt as it swept across the floor. Once I was directly under him, I equipped my "protection" ring and jumped up to slash Galbalan's red eye. If Galbalan attempted to ram Adol, I ran to the edge of the screen, waited for Galbalan to rise and open his eye, ran directly under him, equipped my "protection" ring, and jumped up to slash Galabalan's red eye twice. (The penalty for "touching" Galbalan is severe, and "bumping my head" on him caused me to die many times. Accordingly, I equipped the protection ring so that I did not have to be quite as careful when I attacked him.) Once Galbalan was at 50% health, I waited until he opened his red eye and used the "amulet" item three times, causing sever damage. I eventually ran out of ring power, but I kept attacking him without using my rings. I refilled my health with an herb when it was low, and although Galbalan defeated me many many times, I eventually took him down with almost full health. (The final battle is annoying because it is very time-consuming and the "window" for damaging Galbalan is very short. Moreover - and due to the game's poor hit detection - it is difficult to hit Galbalan and avoid "bumping your head" on him. Accordingly, you may have to restart a fairly lenghty battle many times.)
Frag Mortuus
Next-Gen

Post by Frag Mortuus »

I'm apparently terrible at this game (Steam: Oath) I beat the person throwing swords in the opening mine. However, I made it to the boss at the bottom and can't beat her. I hit her for 2hp everytime. I don't have time to charge up a magic attack because I have to jump over her attacks. Plus 4 or 5 hits on me and I'm dead, lol.
noiseredux wrote:Frag Mortuus rules.

Sell/Trade/Want List
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Nice work, prfsnl.

As shoddy as the controls can be they're still a dream compared to the earlier Falcom games like Xanadu and Romancia. (Faxanadu is better I agree, though that's technically a Hudson game based off of a Falcom IP).

In any case, I assure you that The Oath in Felghana is superior to the original Ys III. I know you probably haven't played Ys Origin, but have you tried The Ark of Napishtim yet? Felghana, Napishtim, and Origin all use the same engine.

I'll be starting the game once I have my new game room (somewhat) set-up... Hopefully middle of next week.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I am going to try to play the games in chronological order; so, the next one for me is Ys IV: Mask of the Sun. (Is that right?) If I recall correctly, the order gets a bit confusing after that; so, I may have to consult with you to identify the next game in the series.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I am going to try to play the games in chronological order; so, the next one for me is Ys IV: Mask of the Sun. (Is that right?) If I recall correctly, the order gets a bit confusing after that; so, I may have to consult with you to identify the next game in the series.

Do you mean game chronology or IRL chronology, they're different.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Yeah Mask of the Sun was released about a month before Dawn of Ys. Apparently it was a bit rushed because Falcom/Tonkin House wanted the game on "inferior hardware" (Super Famicom vs. PC Engine CD) to be released first.