Bloodborne thread (formerly Project Beast)

Level up here
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Re: Bloodborne thread (formerly Project Beast)

Post by brunoafh »

I beat the game three times and got the platinum, two different characters. Overall my impression against the other games is:

Demon's > Dark > Bloodborne >>> Dark 2

Although I put it in third place, I still find it to be an extremely good game and right up there with Demon's and Dark Souls. There are a good handful of things it does better as well. The combat in Bloodborne is the best by far, I've been playing Dark Souls after Bloodborne and the game felt clunky and slow until I got used to it. The transforming weapons turned out to be much more than a gimmick and gives both the combat and the weapon selection more variety than before, even if Dark Souls technically has more weapons. But in Bloodborne, basically every weapon can be viable for both PvP and PvE if used correctly, there are no throwaway/after thought weapons. The gun mechanic was handled elegantly (much better than in Shadow Tower Abyss) and I prefer it to parrying now.

Also, it's the most technically sound game. Very rarely did I experience slow down or frame drop, whereas in Dark Souls this completely broke some areas and made them not fun (mainly Blighttown since the entire thing is in slow motion).

I would have liked a little more variety in the areas, but the areas looking consistently gorgeous makes it hard to complain about. The moon changing throughout the game seems to provide enough of a dynamic feel for me to make up for the lack of hugely visually different areas. There's just nothing quite like exploring Lordran for the first time though, and I think a lot of the appeal of that world is in how dynamic the areas are.

My main gripe would have to be the lack of difficulty though. On my first run I killed the majority of the bosses in one try and only a few areas posed a significant threat (Yahar'gul, Mensis). NG+ wasn't much different, the only bosses that I had a decent amount of trouble with were in the Chalice dungeon areas. It wasn't until my last run where I intentionally handicapped myself with low level and the shitty whip and made a mad dash to Cainhurst that the game felt like it had the punishing nature of the previous games, but even then, it was still noticeably easier. The gun is fun but I think it's kind of ridiculous you can even stun the bosses with it, I'm pretty sure no bosses can be parried in Demon's Souls, and only Gwyn can be parried in Dark Souls since the fight is (strangely) built around that mechanic.

Great game but I hope Miyazaki doesn't continue to simplify the series and tone down the difficulty.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Beat Rom, crazy how much the world changes after killing her.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Did a little grinding for blood stones, got about 4 or 5 levels and my Threaded Cane up to +3 and was able to take down both the Cleric Beast and Father Gascoigne after two attempts each. I'm also doing better at pulling off the counters with my gun; I think I'm getting the hang of this game.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I've been slowly continuing to make my way through. Currently I've done everything level appropriate except for the Nightmare Frontier and I died to Rom. I got midway through the Nightmare Frontier and ate another boulder and realized I didn't care enough to try and complete it given the rewards. I'll probably come back sometime during the blood moon. Rom I tried to blitz the third stage and took too many hits from the minions before I could heal. I ended up deciding not to go back because I realized it was late and I still hadn't eaten dinner.

While I still miss my shield I think I'm actually enjoying gun counters into viscerals. I think what really sold me was when things finally clicked for me and I was able to demolish Logarius. I strong attacked him out of his phase change and then it was just a lot of counters and taking off a huge chunk of his life. Even firing too early wasn't too bad since I'd still knock him out of whatever attack he was doing.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Rom you can:
ignore the spiders after the first stage and just run in and attack him once or twice and then run straight away from him. To avoid the raining ice attack, you run towards him. I got him this way fairly easily.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Omerta
Next-Gen

Post by Omerta »

Stark wrote:Beat Rom, crazy how much the world changes after killing her.

I'm about a month behind you.

Rom's gone. Things are starting to heat up... and I like it.

Wasn't sure that I was gonna put Bloodborne anywhere near the pedestal that I placed Dark Souls upon, but now I'm having second thoughts.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

I love this game. I've almost got it done. I'm on the. 2nd to last boss.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Finally picked this up. Maybe I am rusty, but I am finding this game WAY harder than Dark Souls. Like... I haven't made it past the second lantern in the starting area. Found a dude with a scythe that one-shots me, giant wolf things are tearing me up, and my furthest venture into the city had me fighting 2 giant hunchbacks guys, who promptly whooped my ass (Though I am confident I can take them down, unlike the previously mentioned villains).

Not a bad thing, I am actually loving how much this game is kicking my ass, just really surprised, since I know some have found this game to be a bit on the easy side. Also a bit rough that I can't level yet, I always have heaps of Blood Essence on me when I die. Thinking it would be a good idea to just get enough Blood to go and upgrade some of my gear.

Very fun so far, can't wait to get home and take another crack at it! There really is nothing like the first playthrough of one of these games.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

The no leveling is actually a call back to Demon's Souls, where you had to defeat the first boss before you could level.

I'd say Bloodborne's difficulty is due to the changed combat system. It's much more about evasion and staggering with your gun, rather than tanking with a shield and waiting for openings. So at the start you're in Dark Souls mode and not used to how aggressive you need to be. But once you get into the groove I think it does get easier, as most things that the game throws at you can be overcome with the reflexes you've cultivated.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

It's been a little bit since I was at that stage, but I think you just have to get to the first boss before you can level, I don't think you need to beat him. I agree that it seems more difficult if your expectation is Dark Souls. I also had the most trouble with the scythe guy you speak of (Father G), I think you start getting the flow of combat once you're past that guy.

I've beat the game! Did the first two endings and I should have the third ending in the next day or so depending on how hard the final boss is.