Bloodborne thread (formerly Project Beast)

Level up here
MrPopo

Re: Bloodborne thread (formerly Project Beast)

Post by MrPopo »

Specifically, to level you need to have at least one insight when you go to the Hunter's Dream. At that point you unlock leveling, and afterwards you can go down to zero insight and still be able to level. To get insight at the beginning of the game you can either encounter one of the bosses or find a Madman's Knowledge item somewhere in Central Yharnam.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

MrPopo wrote:Specifically, to level you need to have at least one insight when you go to the Hunter's Dream. At that point you unlock leveling, and afterwards you can go down to zero insight and still be able to level. To get insight at the beginning of the game you can either encounter one of the bosses or find a Madman's Knowledge item somewhere in Central Yharnam.

Ah! That must have been what happened to me.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

You are a life saver Popo. I picked up two Madman's Knowledge items while exploring Central Yharnam last night, but I didn't use them since I wasn't sure if I wanted Insight yet or not. Also found the Saw Spear, but I think I'll stick to the blade right now, seems to have about the same speed and reach, and the poke doesn't seem worth the hit to damage. I did finally manage get a few upgrades on the blade.

Made some progress though, opened up two new shortcuts, killed those wolves, and I'm able to take down the big hulking dudes without getting hit now. Kinda tempted to go give Father G some love.

One thing I haven't nailed down is staggering with the gun. I really only use it to pull enemies right now, not really sure where the window is to stagger, which I think is what is causing my difficulty. I am just smacking and dodging at the moment.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I highly recommend you learn the timing for staggering. Some bosses are extremely vulnerable to it and it will make your life against tough enemies so much easier.

In general, if an enemy is attacking you can use the gun to interrupt, but you need to time it to stagger. In Central Yharnam the large half werewolf guys and the huge guys with bricks are good to practice on. If you've unlocked the shortcut to get to the Cleric Beast you can practice very easily, as there's an enemy who drops four bullets each time and it's only a handful of enemies before a brick guy. Take some time on the brick guy seeing at what points in his attack animation will interrupt vs. staggering. The attack animation tends to be something like pull back, hesitate, then swing, and it's during that hesitate moment that you will be able to stagger.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
horseyhorsey
8-bit

Post by horseyhorsey »

*takes notes*

:mrgreen:
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Making some (slow) progress with this.

Thanks to Popo I was finally able to level up. Good thing too, right after leveling I stumbled across the first boss (?) Father Gascoigne. He got me the first time, just barely, but I was able to come back and take him out the 2nd go. Managed to Stagger him a few times in the fight, which helped a TON.

Its weird, even though this game is supposedly more linear/less open than DS, I find myself wandering about into multiple new areas before I have become familiar with the zone, something that rarely happened in DS. I've opened some shortcuts, but feel like I have missed a ton of areas up to where I am, and I'm not even sure that Father was the "first boss" or not.

Not a bad thing, I actually quite enjoy it, and look forward to going back to rummage through things in Yharnam. Game kicks so much ass, just need to play it more.
horseyhorsey
8-bit

Post by horseyhorsey »

I still haven't taken out tower gun dude, instead I bypassed him and found Blood Starved Beast....

....who annihilated me, although I did get him down to about 30%. Loving this game.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

horseyhorsey wrote:I still haven't taken out tower gun dude, instead I bypassed him and found Blood Starved Beast....

....who annihilated me, although I did get him down to about 30%. Loving this game.

I don't know who either of those are! Have you fought/killed Father yet, or did you stumble across a different first boss than I did?
horseyhorsey
8-bit

Post by horseyhorsey »

Yeah I took him out. He wasn't the first boss for me though.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Cool that there are multiple potential first-bosses then!

Sad to say I've probably only put 2-3 hours into the game so far. Really need to tie up TLOU so I can just focus on this excellent game.