RPG's Big on Exploration

Level up here
AggroSky

Re: RPG's Big on Exploration

Post by AggroSky »

I'm still of the belief that Ultima 7 is the greatest RPG ever made. Although it is over 20 years old and from the isometric view point. But if you want to talk about a game that is immersive, massive and incredibly complex, look no further. You can get it on GOG for pennies too :)
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Exhuminator wrote:But if it has to be a Western game:

http://crescentmoongames.com/wordpress/ ... adowlands/

I just started this game. It is one of the most impressive Android rpgs I have played so far. I really liked how the controls work. I'm looking forward to spending more time with it.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

AggroSky wrote:I'm still of the belief that Ultima 7 is the greatest RPG ever made. Although it is over 20 years old and from the isometric view point. But if you want to talk about a game that is immersive, massive and incredibly complex, look no further. You can get it on GOG for pennies too :)

I also mimic your sentiment on this one. Ultima 7 really set a benchmark that few have been able to match in terms of character's behavior and the ability to do pretty much anything you like. There is a fan re-make that implements a more modern GUI, but keeps the visual style the same, which works great.

I also would recommend the game Dark Sun and it's sequel, Wake of the Ravager. Another old game series in the D&D systems. The game has a great story and captivating world. I find the Dark Sun world to be my all time favorite fantasy setting. It is a post apocalyptic fantasy world where magic essentially sucked the life out of the world, leaving it a desolate wasteland and how societies reflect a lot ancient Earth civilizations. There are TONS of quests to do and you can even carry your team over to Wake of the Ravager as it is a true continuation of the story.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

J T wrote:I really liked how the controls work. I'm looking forward to spending more time with it.

I've been impressed with the fluidity of the controls as well. I typically play the game in first person and even in that mode I don't have any issues.

Currently I've got about 5 hours in it so far, and I've really enjoyed it. I refer to it as "pocket Skyrim", and that's not far from reality. It's heavy on exploration but the areas are confined in digestible chunks, so I don't feel overwhelmed as I do with continuously streaming worlds. The game flow is fairly linear as well, and that helps me stay motivated. There are some difficulty spikes here and there. The first was a cave full of trolls, then when I encountered a forest inundated with grizzly bears, and later when I reached an orc stronghold. I can't wait to try taking down a dragon. I've found ranged weapons are my friend, having customized a crossbow to shoot exploding flaming arrows. Very useful for hunting snow wolves for pelts. I could write three paragraphs of anecdotes about the fun I've had but I'll stop now. :lol:

Anyway Ravensword: Shadowlands has been my go to game whenever I'm not playing Etrian Odyssey Untold. (Since you can save anywhere at anytime, Ravensword is great for quick play sessions during work breaks.) This single game has far and away blown my mind concerning what a "mobile" game can be if developers actually give a shit. I might as well recommend Crescent Moon's other Android RPG while I'm fawning. I haven't played it yet but it looks like another winner: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... mes.aralon
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Frag Mortuus
Next-Gen

Post by Frag Mortuus »

Two Worlds II (sorry if this has been mentioned).
Deus Ex 1 & 2
Dark Siders 1 & 2
Dark Souls 1 & 2
Mass Effect 1,2,3
Never Winter Nights 2
The Witcher 1,2 (3 eventually)

Hope this helps.
noiseredux wrote:Frag Mortuus rules.

Sell/Trade/Want List
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
AggroSky wrote:I'm still of the belief that Ultima 7 is the greatest RPG ever made. Although it is over 20 years old and from the isometric view point. But if you want to talk about a game that is immersive, massive and incredibly complex, look no further. You can get it on GOG for pennies too :)

I also mimic your sentiment on this one. Ultima 7 really set a benchmark that few have been able to match in terms of character's behavior and the ability to do pretty much anything you like. There is a fan re-make that implements a more modern GUI, but keeps the visual style the same, which works great.

You guys should check out Divinity: Original Sin. I haven't played it yet, but it's one of the few games of late that has people bringing up Ultima 7 as a comparison for how much there is to do in the game.

Apparently, the developers kept up a sign in the office that captures the basic philosophy of the game design: “Why can the player move a flowerpot? Because it’s there.”

Read more about it:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07 ... ginal-sin/

Buy it:
http://www.gog.com/game/divinity_original_sin
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry