Level up here
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Together RPG - Eye of the Beholder - 5/11 --> 7/11

by noiseredux Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:12 pm

I never really started. I couldnt figure out combat and gave up quickly.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:16 pm

noiseredux wrote:I never really started. I couldnt figure out combat and gave up quickly.

A) equip weapon/item in hand
B) repeatedly click on weapon/item when monster in front of you until they die

That's it.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:19 pm

Maybe I will load it up tonight.

Or maybe I will say that and plat XCOM and wait for you to swear at me via Steamchat.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:20 pm

noiseredux wrote:Maybe I will load it up tonight.

Or maybe I will say that and plat XCOM and wait for you to swear at me via Steamchat.

:lol:
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:14 pm

dsheinem wrote:
MrPopo wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Is there much "danger" in trying to more or less get to the exits of each level as quickly as possible? Will I need to be a certain level to beat some of the later enemies/bosses, or do they scale to my party?

EDIT: now on level 6 :)

Monster scaling really wasn't a thing in those days. So rushing to the exit could potentially screw you. On the other hand, AD&D has a pretty slow leveling curve, so you can reach a point where the only difference between fully clearing a level and rushing the exit is that you run out of resources and you pick up a couple of good weapons.

Yeah, I am sort of playing the middle path between exploring and getting to the exit directly, so I think I will be fine as I am now on level 7 and seem to be fine in most battles. The "Rest Party" mechanic is really essential, I find that I heal and save easily every 10 minutes or so just to be safe.

I know a few of you folks were playing earlier...did you stop? Get much further? I don't feel that I'm doing this in a very "together" way :lol:

The other thing is that under AD&D rules the only things that scale for fighting classes with levels is they get extra health and hit enemies a little easier. Does EotB implement THAC0? It's the magic classes that really benefit from leveling up (get more spell slots and higher level spells).
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:00 am

This one is in the books. It's a testament to the game's addictiveness of "just one more level" that I stayed up until 3am to get through the last couple of levels :lol:

A really interesting game - the first of its kind I've played. I am not sure if I am eager to play more of this style anytime soon, but I can see why the games are so well regarded. Very cool title, and it played great with the Mega Mouse on the Sega CD. 8)

My lame stats:

I am pretty sure it is safe to add 2-3 hours more to that number for things not saved. HLTB said ~12 hours and it felt more like the 12-14 range in total for me. My party was around level 8 or so by the end.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:24 am

was waiting for you on Steamchat last night. No swears.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:26 am

noiseredux wrote:was waiting for you on Steamchat last night. No swears.

was i really swearing that much?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:28 am

dsheinem wrote:
noiseredux wrote:was waiting for you on Steamchat last night. No swears.

was i really swearing that much?

well you did tell me that I suck donkey D's for playing XCOM instead of Injustice. But in fairness, you did let me know you were saying it with love.

But seriously, congrats on Eye of the Beholder. It seems like the sort of game I'd want to experience, as I've never played an old school D&D PC RPG before. But it also seems a bit tough to get started with.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:51 am

noiseredux wrote:But seriously, congrats on Eye of the Beholder. It seems like the sort of game I'd want to experience, as I've never played an old school D&D PC RPG before. But it also seems a bit tough to get started with.

It is right in your wheelhouse for time investment in that it is a short RPG (even if it feels much longer). I would say I spent as much time in the first 2-3 floors as I did in the next 6-7, just because it took me a while to get used to everything...so expect to start slow and then pick up steam.

Also, this is helpful: http://www.mocagh.org/ssi/eob-cluebook.pdf

There's an HTML version of it linked earlier, but the pdf is more comprehensive and, well, it was cool to use a scan of the original.

These games had a reputation for serving as a gateway to buying a guide, so in my opinion there's no shame in using one for something like this (especially given how disorienting all the sameness of textures can be).

What platform are you thinking of playing on?
Return to RPG