YOU and MMORPG's (OMG!)

Level up here
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Re: YOU and MMORPG's (OMG!)

Post by Sload Soap »

ded srs wrote:I never lose that sense of discovery even when going through a place with 20 other random people. Exploring in WoW never felt cheapened just because an entire guild rolled past the giant spooky tower I was exploring. Honestly, the coming and going of players makes the world feel more alive, imo.

ESO was bound to be very different than other Elder Scrolls games. Of course they were going to flex the lore and do things that wouldn't have made sense in the other games, ESO is a whole different genre. I haven't played the game, though. This is just my impression from what I've seen and know.

I agree that not being able to play Imperial without special edition is crap.

It just really breaks my immersion when I'm playing say Star Trek Online and you're in Borg space and you have two guys dancing to themselves, a bunch of people running and jumping on the spot while their friend sorts his loot and other people spamming the chat trying to sell gear. The Borg don't really seem like much of a threat to me at that point. If you can get past that then more power to you.

As for the lore, of course I expected them to alter it; it's their lore and they can do what they like. As an outside observer and long time Elder Scrolls fan though, it just looks like they're trying to bend the very rich backstory to fit a MMORPG design like WoW's.

I watched some of the Giant Bomb video casterofdreams mentioned and it's just ludicrous seeing a stream of people running through the tutorial who are all supposed to be "the soulless one". The design philosophies of a regular Elder Scrolls and the MMO don't match up.

I still want ESO to do well though as I wouldn't want it to become a financial burden to Bethesda. I'll even play it when I get my PS4 and it drops the monthly fee.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

So the NDA is lifted for the closed beta of EverQuest NExt: Landmark, one of two MMOs SoE is working, the other, of course, being EverQuest Next. I have been in the closed beta for less than a week, but have plunked down an unbelievable amount of hours in this minecraft inspired game.

This game has a lot of potential, but also needs a lot of work. In the game, players mine resources in a fully deformable, voxel-based world. Currently, the resources can easily be seen on the surface, but they are going to be creating cavern systems in the very near future. With those resources, you can refine then and use them to build claims, large areas that are yours. With these claims you can do a lot of cool stuff with the building system. Since it is voxel-based, you can do a lot of interesting warping of the materials to create a weathered, more natural look, or even do unexpected things with the system, like create intricate, microvoxel details.

There are TONS of resources to gather that range from various exotic plants, to numerous different types of trees, to gems and minerals, all providing unique visual resources that you can build with. Not only that, each type of resource has numerous different textures you can use to increase the variety. I am going to be posting up a ton of screenshots as I play to give you guys a feel of what can be done. It really is amazing.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

You know what the best MMO is? I've decided it's Dark Souls II.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Sano
Next-Gen

Post by Sano »

Updated MMORPG status:

Active MMOS
Star Trek Online - Free play and playing the hell out of this one.
EverQuest II - Gold Play and also playing the hell out of this one.

Semi-Active
EverQuest NEXT Landmark

Non-Active MMOS
GuildWars 2
WoW
EverQuest