Harvest Moon series. Console VS Handheld

Level up here
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Re: Harvest Moon series. Console VS Handheld

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

In what games do you have to worry about eating each day? :?
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Retrogamer0001
Next-Gen

Post by Retrogamer0001 »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:In what games do you have to worry about eating each day? :?

The animals have to eat! :mrgreen:

The game room - > http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45478

"We're on an express elevator to hell - goin' down!"
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I'm just gonna say that Rune Factory 3 on DS is pretty damn good. It's fast paced and is more interested in entertaining you than wasting your time.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Opa Opa wrote:Did you guys follow the Story of Seasons/Lost Valley debacle?

What debacle? One company made the games, another owned the name so it's making a new one by itself, sounds normal to me.

darsparx wrote:@zeroax - I'm telling you play fomt, it seems to be very similar(some characters are swapped but still :lol:)

I have, I really enjoyed it, but I broke the game by turning the harvest sprites (or buddums as I called them) into my flour addicted slave workforce and never had to do any farming again.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
MrEco
Next-Gen

Post by MrEco »

I've been very interested in the Harvest Moon and Rune Factory series for some time. But I've got a few questions before jumping in to the series if anyone wouldn't mind helping me out, and I figure this is better than starting a whole new thread.

Firstly, are these two series the kind of things where you'd want to start from the beginning to get the whole story? I have a feeling not, but I want to be safe and ask just in case.

Second, what would you guys recommend as the best game in the series to get a good taste for what it has to offer? I'm primarily looking for one with good variety to the gameplay and things to do, as well as a pretty big world to explore if that's an option. I'm not sure how open these games are really, but bigger the better imo.
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

MrEco wrote:Firstly, are these two series the kind of things where you'd want to start from the beginning to get the whole story?

No, each game's story is self inclusive. There's no continuous plot narrative from game to game or anything like that.

MrEco wrote:Second, what would you guys recommend as the best game in the series to get a good taste for what it has to offer?

Personally I prefer the Rune Factory games over the Harvest Moon games due to the inclusion of combat and monster training. You still get to do the farming, interior design, and waifu stuff with the Rune Factory games too. The best ones in that series? Well...

Handheld? If you've got a 3DS then get Rune Factory 4. If you've only got a DS though, get Rune Factory 3. You should have a blast with either one.

Console? Get Rune Factory Frontier on Wii. It's probably the best game in the Rune Factory series overall.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

ZeroAX wrote:
darsparx wrote:@zeroax - I'm telling you play fomt, it seems to be very similar(some characters are swapped but still :lol:)

I have, I really enjoyed it, but I broke the game by turning the harvest sprites (or buddums as I called them) into my flour addicted slave workforce and never had to do any farming again.

Yeah but that kinda makes it a little more fun at first so you can explore and hopefully enchant a lady to love you :wink:
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

darsparx wrote:Yeah but that kinda makes it a little more fun at first so you can explore and hopefully enchant a lady to love you :wink:

I had gotten so good at Back to Nature that I had my time schedule set to the minute, so I could manage to do everything in a day.

The mini games were really fun too, specially the tomato fight one :)
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
darthmunky
Next-Gen

Post by darthmunky »

My top 3:

1. Harvest Moon (SNES)
2. Harvest Moon 64
3. Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town (GBA)

Harvest Moon: Magical Melody was also really good IMO. Closee to the SNES version in gameplay but still different enough.
- Check out my Trade List
- Check out my Want List
- My GameTZ feedback
- My eBay feedback
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

I approve of that list.

I have to say the original SNES Harvest Moon still has a lot of charm for me. If only a cart of it wasn't so expensive :/