I've been playing Final Fantasy IV Advance...

Level up here
extrarice
64-bit

Post by extrarice »

Mozgus wrote:
extrarice wrote:FFIV Advance is horribly buggy, unfortunately. It was rushed out the door.

Aside from the battle stutters which fail to register commands, what else is wrong?

Mainly the battle system. The ATB system is broken, so it's impossible to time your actions properly. But, the GBA port is a lot less annoying than the PS1 remake (1 minute to load/save data? WTF?)
Ramatut4001
128-bit

Post by Ramatut4001 »

Daigr wrote:Shouldn't even need to be said but grab Chrono Trigger now.

Yeah, I just bought FF Chronicles the other day. Amazon still has most of the FF PS1 greatest hits new for about $15.
Daniel Primed
64-bit

Post by Daniel Primed »

I strongly recomend FFVI, the GBA version came out earlier this year. If you loved FFIV then FFVI will blow your mind. Its the pinnacle of 2D RPG and the best 2D FF game. It shouldn't be too hard to track it down either. :)
marurun

Post by marurun »

I disagree. FFVI on the GBA may be better programmed but I really don't think it's a better game than IV. The esper system is horribly broken, characters don't have pronounced enough functional differences in combat removing most strategy from battles, the characters are mostly typical square caricatures, and the enemy designs and placement are some of the more bizarre and non-organic among Square games. I think IV is a better game, even if it's the lesser GBA port.

And if you disagree, I have a copy of FF3 on SNES I'll consider trading for FF2.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ramatut4001
128-bit

Post by Ramatut4001 »

I got my Dragon Warrior III today.

I'll probably play that and then FFVI and Chrono Trigger. As far as FFIV, I just met FuSoYa on the moon. I think I'm in the home stretch.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Ramatut4001 wrote:Image

Man, why didn't the SP2 get the NES skin? Thats the prettiest handheld of all time right there, but I hate the foggy SP1 screen.
Ramatut4001
128-bit

Post by Ramatut4001 »

Mozgus wrote:
Ramatut4001 wrote:Image

Man, why didn't the SP2 get the NES skin? Thats the prettiest handheld of all time right there, but I hate the foggy SP1 screen.

Yeah, I want an SP2. Which colors did they make? It would be nice to have the better screen. For some reason, I really like playing Gameboy carts on my SP (or GCN) rather than my DS. Of course, in the case of DWIII I won't have a choice. My battery just died on me in the middle of fighting Bahamut, damn it. Glad that's a small dungeon.
wyatt
32-bit

Post by wyatt »

On the subject of characters and storylines, my two cents is I don't care much. 90% of the time investment will be exploration and fighting, there is nothing they can do in the other 10% that will make or break the game.

I've never played for the sake of seeing character development. If they do something interesting, great, it's a better game overall, but if there isn't something fun to DO, I will grab a book, and the story in that will blow every RPG out the water.

This isn't to poopoo the good RPGs, and I hate it when someone brings up reading a book to piss on your movie or TV show or game. Just saying that the potential for a story in one game is so dwarfed by other media and also the time you will spend doing other things in that game, that I don't look for it there at all anymore.
Let my legs shake me to sleep, and don't wake me when I sweat on my sheets.
neohx_7
64-bit

Post by neohx_7 »

Ramatut4001 wrote:I got my Dragon Warrior III today.

I'll probably play that and then FFVI and Chrono Trigger. As far as FFIV, I just met FuSoYa on the moon. I think I'm in the home stretch.

Dragon Warrior III is one of the most rewarding RPGs I have every played. Completing the game and sidequests and character stats 100% is actually a lot of fun. With the zero load time, fast transportation around the world, and quick battles you'll feel like its an attainable goal. The game has a lot of charm and personality, and for me it is still the ultimate portable RPG title.