Other Gauntlet styled games?

Level up here
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Other Gauntlet styled games?

Post by fastbilly1 »

I know that hack and slash are either fighting or RPG, and well I figured the RPG board could use some activity.

What I am looking for are Gauntlet styled hack and slashes. They can be from any console, or even the pc, I just want a list of them for a future project. I already have the following (and what I hav them on):
Gauntlet 1, 2, and Legends - Arcade, NES, DC
Dungeon Explorer 1&2 TG16
Get Medieval - PC

And some that I have yet to figure out how to add in:
Hunter the Reckoning series - PS2 and Xbox
Gauntlet Dark Legacy/Seven Sorrows - PS2
Smash TV

It doesnt matter the setting or system (though older is better), just the killtastic games that have a simple 8 way stick and two-three button controls.

And while it does not directly correlate with my other topic in which LordofDuct helped me, it may in the future. Any help is appreciated.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Re: Other Gauntlet styled games?

Post by Ivo »

fastbilly1 wrote:I know that hack and slash are either fighting or RPG, and well I figured the RPG board could use some activity.

What I am looking for are Gauntlet styled hack and slashes. They can be from any console, or even the pc, I just want a list of them for a future project. I already have the following (and what I hav them on):
Gauntlet 1, 2, and Legends - Arcade, NES, DC
Dungeon Explorer 1&2 TG16
Get Medieval - PC

And some that I have yet to figure out how to add in:
Hunter the Reckoning series - PS2 and Xbox
Gauntlet Dark Legacy/Seven Sorrows - PS2
Smash TV

It doesnt matter the setting or system (though older is better), just the killtastic games that have a simple 8 way stick and two-three button controls.

And while it does not directly correlate with my other topic in which LordofDuct helped me, it may in the future. Any help is appreciated.

You should try all the top down Alien Breed games (mostly on the Amiga, but there are ports for PC at least, I believe). The setting is sci fi, though.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Perfect. I will see if I can get them running in xp, shouldnt be that hard.

The plan is to eventually make a Mame cabinet in the style of a tenttop/camptop cocktail, see my thread in the Nintendo forum for a picture. But with the concept of Gauntlet games being the primary reason for it. Reason for these thoughts is twofold:
1. I dont have space for a normal Gauntlet styled cab.
2. The tenttop is quite social with two people on each side. It works out quite well at parties, as mine can attest to even though it is still being worked on.

The details for it are still up in the air. I have to finish working on this one, and possibly a Tron one I might be given sometime this week. But some time after that construction on this or my competition cab may begin.
thegore
8-bit

Post by thegore »

Golden Axe series on Genesis/MAME.
durkada
64-bit

Post by durkada »

I remember Mage Slayer being a fairly good example of the genre. It's for the PC, used the Quake engine, but is all top-down goodness.

Another PC game, Get Medieval -- haven't tried it, but it looks pretty. The screenshots made it appear as if this was simply a Gauntlet injected with 3D accelerated graphic 'roids. http://www.getmedieval.com/
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

durkada wrote:I remember Mage Slayer being a fairly good example of the genre. It's for the PC, used the Quake engine, but is all top-down goodness.

Another PC game, Get Medieval -- haven't tried it, but it looks pretty. The screenshots made it appear as if this was simply a Gauntlet injected with 3D accelerated graphic 'roids. http://www.getmedieval.com/

I played the demo of Get Medieval ages ago before or close to its release date. It's very close to Gauntlet if I remember, it's basically a Gauntlet "remake".

You should definitively try the demo out to check for yourself.

Ivo.